Bettacreek - New home? Plus a pic of some of the ladies here

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I started some new seeds. The ones that I started in the egg cartons just don't seem to be growing as quickly, It could of course, just be my imagination, or the fact that they're different types. Or, they may be growing just as quickly, but since they're in dirt, I don't see it. Either way, I started some more seeds. I added more romas, California wonder bell peppers, parsley, Bolivian rainbow ornamental peppers (I actually lost all of these for sure), some basil and I think that may be it. I'm really going to be kicking myself in the butt when I have even more containers to drag in and out every morning and evening. :/ I need to really get the garden done, then I'll probably put plastic up (a shower curtain liner that someone else mentioned sounds perfect) so that I can get some of my first starts out there. My sweet peppers seem to be doing wonderfully. My milkweed, rhubarb (from the second round!) and several others are doing very well and could probably go under a clear "tarp".

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Six more guinea eggs went into the incubator 3 hours or so ago. The others have no signs in them, only three out of six chicken eggs show development. We're hoping for peafowl eggs as well.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I finally got around to experimenting with fabric softeners. I LIKE the commercial stuff, and use commercial washing detergent. I know how to make all homemade though, if it comes to that. However, for now, I'm just trying to be cheap with my commercial stuff. So, anyways, I wanted to try the wool balls, but there wasn't any wool at the store (wool yarn), and we needed some type of fabric softener. So, I went ahead and picked up fabric softener and 12" of fleece fabric (times whatever the width was, which is actually quite a bit). I came home and cut six squares about 6"x6". I didn't measure, but I tried to make them square, and even. I dunked them all in fabric softener, and hung up 5 of them. I ran a load and had to use one wet. The laundry came out super soft, but my new fabric softener was a one-time use. I just now put in another load with a square that had dried over night. Unfortunately, I found out after the fact that the BF put in his work clothes and re-washed everything that was in the washer (WITH A DOWNY BALL!). Fortunately, IMO, downy balls don't work very well, so I'll still get somewhat of an idea of how well they work. I'll have another load to go in later without outside interference. This will at least give me an idea of how much of the fabric softener comes out in the first cycle.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
So you will just keep re-soaking the cloths in fabric softener?
Why are you letting them dry? Why not throw them in wet?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
So you will just keep re-soaking the cloths in fabric softener?
Why are you letting them dry? Why not throw them in wet?
Yes, I plan to soak them again every time they need it. As far as letting it dry, they should last longer if they dry first. It will also dispense less softener than if they're thrown in wet. I like mine to have a ton of gunk on them, I like the extra smell and the super softness, but, some people prefer them to be lightly softened/scented. I like the fact that dry sheets will last longer, with the same amount of softener used. The sheet that was thrown in while wet needs to be resoaked, and it was only used once. Hopefully I can get away with at least five uses if they're dried first.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As a mini-update, the dry ones work quite well, and it doesn't take off nearly as much as I was expecting. I'll keep updating this as I use it, to see how much you can use one before needing to re-dose it.

I'm down to two chicken eggs out of six. The third hopeful developed into a blood spot. The guinea eggs are showing nothing still. The six new eggs, nothing, but they were just put in on Monday, so I'm still holding my breath.
I'm working on getting chickens and/or guineas for our flock. For chickens, I'm looking at either random salebarn chooks, bantam cornish or showgirls. I have no problem paying $1.50 for a dozen farm fresh eggs from down the road, especially with what people say they pay for feed! Fresh, non-fertile eggs and the dirt cheap cost of the hens would be the reason for salebarn chooks, so I really don't want to go with them unless the budget calls for it. The other two breeds would be more expensive, but their fertile eggs would sell for more, plus they wouldn't eat as much, so in the long run, they should be the more economical choice.

I planted more seeds today. Filled another 72 hole flat with sweet banana peppers (27 holes), basil (9) and the rest filled with roma tomato sprouts. Hopefully NOW I'll have enough tomato and sweet pepper plants. I need to move my lavender sprouts to dirt, but I don't know where I put the last lavender sprouts. They may not have made the transplant, but I didn't write down where they were! I really want my lavender! I also need to replant some spearmint, as the youngest decided that it tasted good with a handful of the soil. :/ My oregano and sage haven't sprouted, but I've been having a hard time keeping the soil moist.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think all of my self sufficient projects are going to be put on hold. Some will be kept, but many won't be due to constraints. I'm moving out and just won't have land or much to work with. Probably won't have internet service to keep this up to date even on the projects that I can keep, and won't be able to research new projects. Kinda bummed about the whole situation. :/

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
What happened? PM me if you like. Doesn't sound good. Sure hope it'll work out for you. Actually I know it'll work out, whatever it is. ;)

Sounds like you are really going into survival mode, in the most basic way. Do what you have to. You can come back to playing pioneer when you are able. :hugs