Big Ole Pot of Happy

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With my wife being sick and all - I finally got time to make turkey soup with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. Must smell good because my wife got up out of bed and said what you got on the stove? A big ole pot of happy? Yep... That's what it is!

I wanted to get an earlier start but both batteries in my in-laws car and truck we're dead. I'm going to simmer my big ole 5 gallon pot of happy all day, have some for doing dinner with dumplings then pressure can the rest tonight.

IMG_20171208_123255467.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Youngest daughter came in and said God what smells so good? I said I got a big ole pot of happy on stove, go and get you some. So she did and said I tastes as good as it smells - delicious.
IMG_20171208_153417251.jpg

If it were up to me, I would have a pot of soup on the stove every day during the winter. Made with whatever kind of meat of the day maybe even fish heads who knows...

Soups are so easy to make and they are usually delicious too.

Anyways I'm about to pull the carcass out and pick it clean and also fish out bones and skin from the soup. Of course I'll freeze the carcass and bones so my wife can make broth later.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That looks wonderful! Recipe please?

Hope your wife gets to feel better soon..

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Recipe? Humm... I just wing it. I'll have to think on that a little and post it later.

I had to add more water about 1/2 way through because it started to get thick.

I just had a bowl and I do say so myself it came out very good.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Leftover soup is always a good thing to make. Big ole pot of happy! Looks yummy!

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
CrealCritter, your wife is a lucky woman! I hope she feels better soon.

Your soup looks delicious!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well after feeding my wife, daughter, daughter in law, two grand kids and me. I ended up with 8 quarts + 11 pints = 3.375 gallons .

7 quarts are in the pressure canner now. Youngest daughter is taking 1 quart home. 11 pints go in the canner in about an hour.

Here is one of the pints un-canned. It's a little thick but nothing a little water can't fix when heating it back up. Still way better than any store bought soup though.
IMG_20171208_215820760.jpg

I don't know who invented the pressure canner originally, but it is one of the best intentions ever:) now that my wife has taught me how to use both the water bather and pressure canner. I prefer canning over freezing because if the electric ever goes out or our two deep freezers quit, canned food won't spoil like freezer food would.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had soup for dinner. Nice warm, satisfying and ready to heat & eat! I make a large pot when cooking -- often a clean the frig menu, LOL -- but, soups lend themselves to that! Nice to have a jar of "ready" after a long day at work. Healthier than fast food.

Your soup looks great.

Latest posts