BIRTH ANNOUNCEMENT!!!! New sweater larvae, as Pat calls them! LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Guess what??? I have a new ram lamb!!! :celebrate :weee

The dogs came down to the house and alerted me to something going on. Upon investigation (I had been checking every so often today anyway), I noticed the ewe with a bag of amniotic fluid hanging from her vulva. It burst while I was watching.

She didn't seem in much distress but was calling out and approached me when I went up in the orchard to her. I lured her down to the lambing pen with the feed bucket....of course, she was still thinking about food! She ate a good bait of feed and then started to have some labor pains.

She couldn't lie down and couldn't stand up...and I remembered that feeling! I felt so sorry for her! She finally had a few hooves peeking out but couldn't seem to get much further. About 45 min. after the birth sac had broken, I decided to help her in just the littlest way...

I gently pulled on the feet of this lamb and she seemed to understand that I was helping her because she seriously started to push and didn't seem to mind my presence. As soon as the lamb's forehead cleared the vulva, the rest was easy and she expelled him all by herself.

Nice big ram lamb for this size of ewe! She is a good mother and has been licking and chuckling to him...I love that sound!

Now...question:

She still looks pretty big to me and there is another sac of fluid hanging out of her...this one is a darker hue than the previous one and somewhat smaller but definitely fluid and not the afterbirth.

Could this mean she will have another?

I have dial-up so the process is slow but am currently downloading some pics of the new guy...haven't thought of a name yet.

First pic...will try to download more later and will try to post some of the birth if anyone is interested.

82_first_lamb_027.jpg

82_first_lamb_020.jpg

He has a sweet face!

Last edited by Beekissed (Today 10:06 pm)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Keep an eye just in case that is a second lamb!! I'm guessing they'd be like a goat and have a twin rather quickly after the first???

Congratulations!!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh so sweet!!! Congratulations!! He's just precious and so is his mama!
Sweater larvae. I love it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is what the vet told me on the phone when Mya was delivering Plum and she was so ginormous I thought there had to be at least triplets in there.....wait a half hour, then do a sweep. Feel downwards, right, and left. Inside, I mean.

Mya was like a warehouse, but only had one teensy tiny little delicate Plum!

There is also the "bouncing" method used with goats....same with sheep? Straddle her, clasp your hands together just forward of the udder, and bounce her belly, feeling for knobby heads?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thanks, Free! I'll see if those work....she still has a bag of fluid hanging and its been more than an hour after the lamb arrived. She shows no signs of straining or any signs of labor at all. Calmly eating and the lamb is resting.

First meal...that little tail was twirling!

82_first_lamb_036.jpg

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I love it- sweater larva! What a cutie. What breed for sweater making?

Is there a second one?