Birth control in a EOTWAWKI situation?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry, hit the submit button twice...

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just kinda figured that in a SHTF situation, we would all be too tired from all the stress and physical labor, that the "urges" would be knocked flat. Of course, possible lack of showers and soap may add to that. ;)

KnightMare

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I just kinda figured that in a SHTF situation, we would all be too tired from all the stress and physical labor, that the "urges" would be knocked flat. Of course, possible lack of showers and soap may add to that. ;)
:lol: If that were the case, NONE of us would be here! While soap and water may have improved the health of the human being, it has never stopped the increase in the population. Quite the contrary. Many folks resort to "personal comfort" in times of great stress.
:clap

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, in my studies, I have only encountered one herb (and I forgot which), that can be used to avoid pregnancies. Now I have read several.....and nothing will convince me to share.....that can cause miscarriage. Technically, that can be used as birthcontrol....afterall, no birth will occur.
Honestly, and not trying to convert anyone, NFP is the best way. I've only got 5 children to show for 27 years of marriage and....yes...some of them were actually intentional, some were...if I get pregnant, I get pregnant.....who cares? One snuck up, cuz I didn't know Billings....only rhythm. Note: Billings is better...less equipment required and you can do it when nursing a baby. I do have one baby that snuck up, but that would be an overshare story and guess what....I don't care. She is a wild child, but I get a kick outta her.
As far as I can see, there is only one safe way to avoid pregnancy and lots of unsafe ways to end a pregnancy, which the books have told me about and I cring. Totally unnecessary when you know your body.
I totally understand Icu's comments regarding the male sexual drive. In a total meltdown, I think I will really need all the help I can get and I wouldn't dream of depriving my other half. I mean....who else is gonna work as hard as me to keep things running?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Well, in my studies, I have only encountered one herb (and I forgot which), that can be used to avoid pregnancies. Now I have read several.....and nothing will convince me to share.....that can cause miscarriage. Technically, that can be used as birthcontrol....afterall, no birth will occur.
Honestly, and not trying to convert anyone, NFP is the best way. I've only got 5 children to show for 27 years of marriage and....yes...some of them were actually intentional, some were...if I get pregnant, I get pregnant.....who cares? One snuck up, cuz I didn't know Billings....only rhythm. Note: Billings is better...less equipment required and you can do it when nursing a baby. I do have one baby that snuck up, but that would be an overshare story and guess what....I don't care. She is a wild child, but I get a kick outta her.
As far as I can see, there is only one safe way to avoid pregnancy and lots of unsafe ways to end a pregnancy, which the books have told me about and I cring. Totally unnecessary when you know your body.
I totally understand Icu's comments regarding the male sexual drive. In a total meltdown, I think I will really need all the help I can get and I wouldn't dream of depriving my other half. I mean....who else is gonna work as hard as me to keep things running?
IMO abortion/miscarriage is NOT birth control, it's murder... but that's a whole other can of worms lol To me, "birth control"= prevention of a fertilized egg, either through a method that doesn't allow the egg & sperm to meet up, or that prevents the woman from ovulating. This is why an IUD is not acceptable for me, because it doesn't prevent a fertilized egg. I too would not deprive my hubby of something a wife should provide for her man- IMO it would go against the marriage vows- he promised to be true to me & my needs, and in turn I need to be true to him & provide for his needs. So, abstinence is not in the consideration unless one of us is ill, in pain, etc., and for a specified amount of time... so it looks like barrier methods and NFP for me :)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Blaundee said:
rhoda_bruce said:
IMO abortion/miscarriage is NOT birth control, it's murder... but that's a whole other can of worms lol To me, "birth control"= prevention of a fertilized egg, either through a method that doesn't allow the egg & sperm to meet up, or that prevents the woman from ovulating. This is why an IUD is not acceptable for me, because it doesn't prevent a fertilized egg. I too would not deprive my hubby of something a wife should provide for her man- IMO it would go against the marriage vows- he promised to be true to me & my needs, and in turn I need to be true to him & provide for his needs. So, abstinence is not in the consideration unless one of us is ill, in pain, etc., and for a specified amount of time... so it looks like barrier methods and NFP for me :)
What she said!!!!:clap :woot :thumbsup

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, ditto to your first statement. No one agrees with you more, but unfortunately it is used as BC and 'family planning.' I'm actually a RTL volunteer, but like you said....another can of worms.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So I am going to be having my second c-section this winter. We are trying to decide of I should get my tubes tyed. One thought is we have our kiddos and with out modern medanice the munchkins and I wouldn't be here. So my question is is it worth it. I'm on the small side of being not tall so it would be very hard for me to fight off an attacker and then if I got pregnant it would really not be good. But I have heard a lot of not so good things about having it done. Any one have it done?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, I had my tubes burned and tied after the birth of my daughter, 2nd child. I can recommend it all the way. All we wanted was 2 children and no more than that. If things crapped out, and you got pregnant, then you really would have problems. if you don't want any more children, then tubal ligation is the way to go.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree with baymule. I had my tubes tied off 22 years ago. The odd thing is, I was scheduled to have the operation, but no one knew I was pregnant until my tube blew out (ectoptic pregnancy). I had quite a bit of discomfort while I was recovering, but I don't know if it was from the procedure or the rupture.

I have talked with men that had vasectomies, and some men have problems stemming from the production of sperm with no outlet. But with tubal ligation, there is only one egg per month to deal with-- easily resorbed by the body.

Be aware however, that even tubals are not 100% effective, though they are the best method short of complete celibacy. I did meet a woman that delivered a healthy boy-child... 10 years after her surgery.