1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Maple Sweet Potato Hash - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Birth control in a EOTWAWKI situation?

Discussion in 'Emergency Preparedness' started by Blaundee, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Feb 21, 2013
    Blaundee

Blaundee Power Conserver

I hope this is not too blatant- I worked in the medical field for 11 years and have no shame, it's all factual to me, so I try to keep in mind that other people are easily offended by things that dont phase me.

One thing that I worry about most for myself and for my sisters and SIL is preventing pregnancy. None of us believe in eliminating a pregnancy, but we do believe in preventing pregnancy.

Latex condoms have expiration dates, and become brittle after that date, plus are only 80 something % effective. Hormonal birth control is of course the best method for prevention, which is what we currently use, but you have to get it through a doctor and cant stockpile it. I know about the "Rhythm", following your cycle, and the withdrawal method, but both of those are about as effective as or less effective than condoms. I won't use an IUD because- there is a small chance of getting pregnant, and if you DO get pregnant with an IUD in place, you should have it removed for your own body's safety, but having it removed gives a chance of losing the baby- if I did end up pregnant, I'd want to keep the baby, not kill it, so that is not an option for me. Obviously abstinence is the only 100% effective method, LOL, but not an option when married :) What are some other methods? What is your plan?

2. Feb 21, 2013
    Emerald

Emerald Lovin' The Homestead

Cassanova's best friend was a little piece of sheep intestine with a pink ribbon to hold it on.. ;)

3. Feb 21, 2013
    Blaundee

Blaundee Power Conserver

Are sheep-intestine condoms available anymore? I do know that Grandpa had one that broke, and that's how Mom came into this world hahaha How would you go about making them?

4. Feb 21, 2013
    ORChick

ORChick Almost Self-Reliant

Google "Victorian Pharmacy" you tube. They had a segment on just that, though I don't remember exactly how much detail they gave.

5. Feb 21, 2013
    Emerald

It seemed that they salted them and they were known to break.. but then condoms break now.. but maybe I'll go do some google foo.. lol

Found more info..
    For the curious, here's how to make a sheep-gut condom, according to a publication in 1824. Soak a sheep's intestine caeca in water for a number of hours, then turn inside out, and macerate them again in weak alkaline, changed every 12 hours. Scrape them carefully to remove the mucous membrane, leaving the peritoneal and muscular coats, and expose them to the vapour of burning brimstone. Then wash them in soap and water, inflate them, dry them and cut to a length of seven to eight inches. Finally, border the open end with a ribbon to tie round the base of the penis, and before use soak the condom in water to make it supple.
    from the History of the condom h2g2
    So glad I don't have to worry about that..

6. Feb 21, 2013
    Blaundee

Blaundee Power Conserver

Hahahah! Good to know how, I suppose.... perhaps abstinence will be the method of the day lol

7. Feb 21, 2013
    Emerald

there certainly is an ick factor.. :sick Makes ya wonder how strong those fake sausage casings are?

8. Feb 21, 2013
    Blaundee

Blaundee Power Conserver

Hmmm.... fake sausage casings.... last a long time and MUCH less ick..... plus you can use them for other things, too, not like storing boxes upon boxes of condoms HAHAHA Anyone want to volunteer to see how well they work????? :D

9. Feb 21, 2013
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

Well snipping the guy is effective too if you don't want children :hu I don't know about wrapping anything in a sheeps anything that's going to then go INTO my "space" ....NOT happenin!

10. Feb 21, 2013
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

WBF - You took the words right outta my mouth, lol.