Birth control in a EOTWAWKI situation?

KellyK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It was easy to get permanent birth control. Which is the only BC that worked for us. Had 6 kids. He got snipped.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Fernie said:
It was easy to get permanent birth control. Which is the only BC that worked for us. Had 6 kids. He got snipped.
From a surgical perspective (and I do have some "credibility" in that area) a vasectomy is a very simple surgical procedure which can be done "in the office" rather than the Operating room. The anesthetic is a local and the recovery time is minimal.

Tubal ligation is a "much bigger deal" from a medical perspective, requiring general anaesthetic and the operating room. If you have a c-section, doing it at that time is easy and is a MUCH more sure procedure. We generally remove about 1 cm between the ends of the tube, burn the ends of the tube and put a surgical tie AND a clip over the end...I mean we intend to BE CERTAIN...
Vasectomy on the other hand is much less involved and can take about 30 minutes total without all the "infrastructure" of the medical world (as mentioned above.)

Guys are generally able to tolerate this a great deal more easily assuming it is done "right" and there are no "Autoimmune" problems that occur. No "hormone" changes occur so no "loss of drive" occurs except "psychologically" in some cases.

In the TEOTAWKI situation, it is a better option so that life can continue as it is to the extent that men will still feel like men, do what men do and not lose their sense of self.

As for the issue of "control" women have ALWAYS owned the issue of control and permission. Otherwise it is criminal...and that should be avoided/eliminated from society but then there are men who are mentally ill and don't get the "permission ONLY" thing.

bubba1358

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am a 31 year old old Catholic man who has been practicing NFP via the sympto thermal method for over 8 years. Currently my wife and I are in training to become local instructors.

After C-section #2 we had serious medical reasons to delay indefinitely. We used NfP successfully for 6 consecutive years with 0 pregnancies. When the time was right again, we stopped charting a few years ago. Within 3 months, we were pregnant again. Following the guidelines and the body signs diligently WORKS.

I should also mention that my wife has always had irregular cycles (30 to 75 days). Since Nfp chrts fertility signals unique to each woman and NOT a schedule, everyone can use it. The only equipment required is a thermometer.

Through NFP and the charting and analysis of certain cycle irregularities, we were able to discover a condition in my wife known as PCOS. This is a conditional that aggects hormone balance and overall adrenal and thyroid health. One of the main things prescribed for this condition is the pill. However, it merely masks tje underlying symptoms rather that treating and curing them. It is actually though this that we have come to the homesteading movement - searching for more natural and holistic ways to restore health.

NFP is about knowing your body and working with nature, not against it. IMHo i see a huge logical disconnect in struving to each all natural foods yet prefacing that with a daily dose of artificial hormones. But that's just me.

I highly encourage EVERYONE to learn NFP. Male or female. It's about learning how cycles and fertility work. With that knowledge, you can delay pregnancy indefinitely, learn oyour body and take control of your health, and even time 'relations' to increase the likelihood of becoming pregnant.

And when SHtf, NFP will keep on going

KellyK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
From a surgical perspective (and I do have some "credibility" in that area) a vasectomy is a very simple surgical procedure which can be done "in the office" rather than the Operating room. The anesthetic is a local and the recovery time is minimal.

Tubal ligation is a "much bigger deal" from a medical perspective, requiring general anaesthetic and the operating room. If you have a c-section, doing it at that time is easy and is a MUCH more sure procedure. We generally remove about 1 cm between the ends of the tube, burn the ends of the tube and put a surgical tie AND a clip over the end...I mean we intend to BE CERTAIN...
Vasectomy on the other hand is much less involved and can take about 30 minutes total without all the "infrastructure" of the medical world (as mentioned above.)

Guys are generally able to tolerate this a great deal more easily assuming it is done "right" and there are no "Autoimmune" problems that occur. No "hormone" changes occur so no "loss of drive" occurs except "psychologically" in some cases.

In the TEOTAWKI situation, it is a better option so that life can continue as it is to the extent that men will still feel like men, do what men do and not lose their sense of self.

As for the issue of "control" women have ALWAYS owned the issue of control and permission. Otherwise it is criminal...and that should be avoided/eliminated from society but then there are men who are mentally ill and don't get the "permission ONLY" thing.
The funniest part is my husband has had no ill affects. The doctors were pushing a tubal on me. My husband started looking at the pros and cons of each procedure. The doctors were telling him a tubal could be done as an office visit. Something about going from the inside or some such. My husband after much research realized I was at a higher risk or complications even death for me to get the tubal. He decided that the risk to him was much less. He has had no ill affects from it. Also knowing how terrified I am of needles, he decided that I may just died from the fear.