Birthday help?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Sounds crazy, but DH wants to know what I want for my birthday, and I could think of NOTHING.

So I told him if we could rent the movie Handcock, put the kids to be early, pop some popcorn, and have a movie night that would be good enough for me.

I think he was a little disappointed. So I said, well you can get me a new pair of jeans, if you want, since I need a pair. Or fencing for the goat pasture...lol

His reaction was kind of like, well, down. I think he was wanting me to pick something nice or not something frugal because for my birthday this year he actually has a paycheck.

So what do I do?? I am really wanting to just do the movie night.

I did tell him he could just choose and surprise me.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Nothing wrong eith being frugal. He should be flattered that a movie night at home with him is enough for you :)

Just becasue he has extra cash in his pocket doesn't mean you need to help him spend it on something frivolous...you have a good head don't let him push you into losing it (like I do with my DH.. becasue he is a spender and I am not, yet he can talk me into buying just about anything :barnie )

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well- sooner or later you will need something like boots or shoes or a blouse. Maybe you can see far enough ahead to ask for something that will be needed later?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I find myself in that boat a lot. Would he like to take you out for dinner and a movie instead of renting and staying in?

countrymama

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi! How about paying for you to get your hair done, maybe a new style or color? A professional family photo maybe? Just some ideas.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ohh! Family Photo sounds good LOL He only does one of those once a year....and we did just have a new baby....

I think I have decided to ask him for a heated waterer for the chooks. Maybe two, one for each coop. And 2 five gallon plastic buckets from the local grocery for homemade feeders. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ASK for a full body message from him to you!
Yup.....make his fingers work hard, then pay him for his time..HA HA HA

birthdays to me aren't exciting anymore. I need "stuff" but hate to buy stuff anymore. You can't win. Now presents are more creative then bought for me. Hmm..my b-day is Dec. 7 and I think that full body message will be a present from Tony to me. No money spent and it will make me feel great.

I know Quail. hard to be put on the spot for a present when you truly don't want anything and can easily live without.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I was going to say a trip to the spa or a massage.

Something useful usually seems like a good idea but birthday gifts are also for splurging for something fun.

I just bought a heater for a water fount. $40, yow.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
QA, he sounds like he loves you very much. He also sounds like he knows that you work hard and sacrifice for him and the kids. MAYBE, he wants to get something special for you. In turn it may make him feel like a provider.....manly. SEE......two birds with one stone. Let him make you feel good.