Black Bean Burgers

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I posted this recipe in my journal...... TR and I had this for dinner yesterday.

Black Bean Burgers

1/2 onion, diced
1 can black beans - do not drain
1/2 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
2 slices bread, crumbled (I used 12 grain)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
pepper to taste
oil for frying

Sautee the onions till soft, about 3-5 minutes.

In a large bowl, mash the beans until almost smooth. Add sauted onions and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, adding the flour a few tablespoons at a time to combine well. Mixture will be thick.

Form bean mixture into patties, approximately 1/2 inch thick and fry patties in a small amount of oil until slightly firm.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Thanks, BBH! I was just mentioning in my journal that I think the next time I will add some diced, sauteed portabello mushrooms to the mix, to give the burgers a more meaty flavor.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I can't wrap my head around "bean burgers", but I saved this recipe to try anyway. :lol: I think when I try to make them, I will be adding the Portabello mushrooms to the mix. Do you think these could be grilled? I am thinking a wood/charcoal fire might add another dimension to them as well.

chrissum

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sounds good, maybe you could add a little liquid smoke?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
I can't wrap my head around "bean burgers", but I saved this recipe to try anyway. :lol: I think when I try to make them, I will be adding the Portabello mushrooms to the mix. Do you think these could be grilled? I am thinking a wood/charcoal fire might add another dimension to them as well.
SKR8PN I am not sure they would be easy to grill - when you first put them into a skillet they are pretty soft. I think they would have fallen through the grating on our grill. :D

The burgers get a nice crispy crust on the outside when cooked in the skillet. (They only take a few minutes on each side.)

If you do try to grill them, please post and let us know how they turned out.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
chrissum said:
Sounds good, maybe you could add a little liquid smoke?
I guess you could, chrissum... I don't usually have liquid smoke on hand. If you try it, let us know how it turned out.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
KJM- Marc's had Finest black beans @ 59c per can. Half the time I am running late and don't always have cooked dried beans ready(and a tiny freezer). Looks good, I can't believe that I have never attempted to make black bean burgers. No excuses now! Back up to Marc's :drool

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Maybe they would appeal to the manly men if they had a bit of TVP to still cut costs and add texture as well. One of these days, I am going to try one of the flavored TVPs, like sausage or bacon.