Black Friday Shopping

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Hate crowds- don't really want anything so Nope- didn't go.

You know maybe if they were selling 100 year extensions of my life time, I might brave the crowds- maybe..............

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Avoid them at all costs. I usually work at the gin on those days which I did again this yr!

Sad about that security gaurd at Walmart being trampled to death he was only 34 & he was just trying to help a 8 mos pg woman to get her a basket! They said on the news this morning the local prosecuter is looking at the security tape to see if they can press charges against some people(which I think they should).

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
In 30 years, I've gone out twice on the day after Thanksgiving. This year ... makes the 3rd time. :D

Our local mall - 15 miles away - has a KMart, JCPenneys, Sears plus various other chain stores. The midnight madness sale was crowded, but no one got injured or killed shopping for Christmas presents. A friend went to midnight madness sale at the mall an hour away and said it was a hateful place to be. Even the sales personnel were nasty.

I find as long as I visit only local businesses, the madness and hostility seen at big box stores and malls is gone. So on Friday, DH and I went to the local Christian book store, the local diner for lunch and the local tree farm to buy our live tree. After that, we spent the evening at home enjoying life, listening to Christmas music.

The local large town near us (pop ~5000) decorates the town the day after Thanksgiving. Every business has really large sales through Dec 6. Each store puts out a small tree in front of their business; the 3.5' pine trees are donated by the local garden club. For a $1 raffle ticket, you have a chance to win any of the trees. As an example, the tree in front of the coffee house has gift certificates for their beverages and/or desserts, as well as ornaments, lights, tea and coffee samplers, and biscotti decorating the tree.

The money from the raffle ticket sales goes to the HALO project, to help provide local families in need with food, winter clothing and holiday gifts. The drawings are on Dec 6, when the town has a huge parade and the man in the red suit arrives. The Christmas decorations, tree raffles, parade with Santa, and sales have been a holiday tradition in town since 1910.

I've lived in big cities and small towns. I prefer small towns. ;)

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
let me send a shout out to all the LOW LIFE SCUM who couldnt wait to get into a Wal-Mart and trampled someone to death. Merry CHRISTmas to their family's. I wish people would get their heads out of their butt and quit acting like animals. We as a country need to end the tradition of going out and running through money like it is water and then expecting uncle sam to send us a check or food stamps. How ridiculously sad this country has become. sorry for the rant.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
firem3 said:
let me send a shout out to all the LOW LIFE SCUM who couldnt wait to get into a Wal-Mart and trampled someone to death. Merry CHRISTmas to their family's. I wish people would get their heads out of their butt and quit acting like animals. We as a country need to end the tradition of going out and running through money like it is water and then expecting uncle sam to send us a check or food stamps. How ridiculously sad this country has become. sorry for the rant.
Its ok firem3 - you can rant if you want to - especially when you are telling the truth. I really wonder what all those people are thinking right now. I wonder if they are remorseful or just afraid they are going to be caught.

America has really turned into a nation of greedy, self serving bunch of folks. So Sad.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good post firem3
I agree!

it is super sad when someone dies for a sale. incredible! :(

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My husband needed a new camera and external hard drive for his business so I got up at 4am and braved walmart. Don't know if I will do that again....I was sweating by the time I got out of there. I did get what i came for though so I guess it was worth it. I don't know if I will ever go again though, this was my first time. Scary.

Lori

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Funny, isn't it? People with good sense don't participate in scheduled shopping frenzies....and most of us have uncommonly good sense...so it only follows that most of us have never partaken of the (red stuff in our veins) bath that is Black Friday! :lol:

Not me...ever! All the really good deals on things are the day after Christmas anyway! :rolleyes: I don't go then either! :D