Black Walnuts!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Different hickories have a different taste. Some are sweet, others are bitter. It's just a matter of figuring out which type you have, and seeing whether or not you like the taste. According to my dendrology textbook shag bark, shellbark, mockernut, and red hickory are all sweet while pignut and bitternut hickory are bitter.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
always made my x a hickory nut cake for his birthday. DenimDeb is right some hickory nuts are good and some are not. only way i have been able to tell the difference is to taste 'em. now pecans are the nut that i love. throw your black walnuts in a feed sack and run over them with your car. makes getting them out of their shell easier

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I no longer have any black walnuts. I left them sitting by my steps, and the squirrels helped themselves to them. :he

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is almost pecan time here. There are lots of pecan trees in town and I go foraging. There's 3 trees at the library and 2 in a big lot just a block from the house. Also several at the bank......I go "pecan walking" and come home with a bag full.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DenimDeb, in my humble opinion that squirrels are evil, basically a tree rat with a fluffy tail. the fact that they stole your black walnuts is no surprise. evil dressed in a cute suit. and yes Baymule the pecans are almost ready here too, yea!

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh I wish I had nuts to trade, but this year I lucked out and traded tomatoes for fresh pistachios. Never had the fresh ones and they are heavenly. The thin outer husk smells wonderful sort of citrus like. Loved them!

Last edited:

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Awesome, @baymule just let me know when you figure it out! I love a good pecan pie!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Awesome, @baymule just let me know when you figure it out! I love a good pecan pie!
I am sure I will be able to spare enough for a pecan pie! How could I refuse the makings of a pecan pie to someone who loves pecan pie? BTW, adding chocolate chips to pecan pie makes it unbelievable!!