Blackberries - HELP!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to make and preserve blackberry vinaigrette? We've been using store-bought raspberry/walnut vinaigrette on our salads (grilled chicken, salad greens, blueberries, strawberries). I've sold almost all my blackberries but am taking the remaining few off the vines for my own use. I don't want to make jelly because of our diabetes issues, but would like to make some salad dressing.

S

sunsaver

2/4 cup blackberry juice or crushed blackberries
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
1/4 balsamic or apple cider vinegar
one clove of garlic minced
2 tbsp of chopped parsley or cilantro
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: pinch of mixed Italian herbs

Combine and shake well. Keep refrigerated. Shake well before use

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Depending on how many blackberries you have you might want to make blackberry vinegar to have on hand for future salad dressings - http://www.food.com/recipe/blackberry-vinegar-152603 - That way you will have preserved the berries, but still be able to have a fresh salad dressing when you want it. I've never done this, but perhaps will now that berry season is here.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I saw the words BLACKBERRY and HELP so I grabbed some gloves and a bucket. Now I am all disappointed.

S

sunsaver

Old Fashioned Blackberry syrup:

Combine equal parts of rinsed and drained blackberries and refined white sugar. Pack into sterile jars or other clean containers. Store in a cool dark place such as a pantry room. After several days the berries will melt into the sugar and produce a wonderful syrup for use with pancakes or biscuits.
Add blackberry syrup to sparkling white wine or seltzer water for a refreshing drink. Add blackberry syrup to vodka to make blackberry liquor. Add blackberry syrup to lemon-lime soda for a special treat. Add blackberry syrup and fresh cream to morning coffee, Well i could go on all day.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Come on down - there are still some. I should have gotten a picture - some were golly whoppers. Saturday, a man and his son were bent down over the berries taking a picture. The little boy looked up at me and said "Monster berries".

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Couldn't resist - here they are with an egg to give you some idea of size. And these are about 1/2 the size of some of them.

1343_005.jpg

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
Old Fashioned Blackberry syrup:

Combine equal parts of rinsed and drained blackberries and refined white sugar. Pack into sterile jars or other clean containers. Store in a cool dark place such as a pantry room. After several days the berries will melt into the sugar and produce a wonderful syrup for use with pancakes or biscuits.
Add blackberry syrup to sparkling white wine or seltzer water for a refreshing drink. Add blackberry syrup to vodka to make blackberry liquor. Add blackberry syrup to lemon-lime soda for a special treat. Add blackberry syrup and fresh cream to morning coffee, Well i could go on all day.
Thanks for all the recipes - I knew I could count on you all. My first thought was blackberry syrup. How long will this keep? I think it would go well drizzled over my berry trifle I make for family holidays.

And the vinegar sounds like just what I need for a salad dressing. The salad dressing sounds yummy too. :drool

Now I wish I had saved more of them. :hit

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
If you have too many blackberries, I'd be happy to take them off your hands. :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I saw the words BLACKBERRY and HELP so I grabbed some gloves and a bucket. Now I am all disappointed.
Totally ditto :(

Latest posts