Blackberries - HELP!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
These berries have been a real money-maker for us this year. So much so that we have set the poles for another row. But, I'd gladly share with my good friends if I only had some left. Tell you what - with each salad and each time I use the syrup, I'll think of you all and share in my heart. :love

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
No blackberries for me this year. :hit

At least a couple of the plants I moved from my big garden lived, so there is hope for next year at least. :fl

The recipes sound fab.

S

sunsaver

I got a good crop off of about 7 plants, but i've been propagating them like crazy. I have about 100 plants in the ground now. In a couple of years i hope be selling some of them.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Droolingly gorgeous berries, kcsunshine! :drool

Ours were like that last year but it was too dry and hot this year and they're too far away to irrigate. We were hitting 100+ when they started to ripen so I took a walk up there and it was so depressing.

Once the temps cool off, I need to get up to the patch and thin out the dead canes, get the live ones tied up/trellised and work on mulching them for next year.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
I need to get up to the patch and thin out the dead canes, get the live ones tied up/trellised and work on mulching them for next year.
Before downsizing I had 2 - 50 foot rows of blackberries and 3 - 50 rows of black raspberries. I used white Dutch Clover as a living mulch with my berries and it was WONDERFUL! It took a bit to get it well established but then I could just keep the path between the rows mowed like a lawn and let the clover stand tall and thick all around the plants. ;)