Blackbird's SS Journal - Country to City

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Most of that money was from social security supplements, my dad is 67.

Yes.. I probably wouldn't have electricity, at least at first so a Kenwood heater wouldn't do me much good. I agree that a wood stove or something of that sort would be the way to go.

About two years ago we had almost a full week of -60 degree weather, after -40 it all feels the same anyway. Who wants to live in a yurt with me in that weather??? It's fun to plan anyway.
see, this is where the second thought "i hate myself" came into play. i too got ssi because of my father. although, in all honesty, in my father's case he was "disabled" and "unable to work" although how that covered him doing roofing jobs and parking lot painting jobs is far beyond my scope of comprehension (and apparantly spelling capabilities). I'm also still trying to figure out how a man as large as him was able to do roofing work to begin with but I'll leave that mystery for another day.

Well, if your gonna bring up the no electricity arguement then of course the kenwood isn't going to be a good idea! :p

And if you are going to support your weather arguements with facts then i'm not sure I can continue this (after all, facts are the bane of my people :p ) And are you looking for people to live with you in the yurt or are you being sarcastically rhetorical? Cause I gotta tell ya, I am bored enough with my life right now that I would be looking for new adventures! and it doesn't get much more adventurous than a non electric non plumbing (i'm assuming) yurt in the middle of a northern minnesota winter! :frow

Should I be concerned that I'm kinda willing to try that kind of adventure?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:lol: :gig
You are funny!

Well, I haven't the slightest clue about how yurts are made, etc. so if you do, and I get my land, come up and I'll teach you all I know about goats in return.

Free, Composting toilet? It's the latrine for me! :lol:

I do have a question though.. Why do you need to win the lottery to go back in time (in society's terms)?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Who wants to live in a yurt with me in that weather??? It's fun to plan anyway.
oooh oooh! me! me! me!

except that i won't be able to go outside. i can hardly stand winters in TN where our average low is like 40F and it rarely, rarely gets below 10F. although this past winter it was 9F for a solid week and it was raining the whole time...

can i just come up and spend the whole winter reading in the yurt? i'll cook. :D

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
:lol: :gig
You are funny!

Well, I haven't the slightest clue about how yurts are made, etc. so if you do, and I get my land, come up and I'll teach you all I know about goats in return.

Free, Composting toilet? It's the latrine for me! :lol:

I do have a question though.. Why do you need to win the lottery to go back in time (in society's terms)?
because i don't have the money for it now?

i know the theory, does that count? of course, i also know the theory of chicken raising, and so far those theories are playing out ok, so who knows? :D

I also want a composting toilet. the less water used, the better!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Absolutely Leah!

Well, I thought Yurts were a more affordable type of housing.. Maybe not. I know nothing out of it. Maybe I'll build a wigwam.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Absolutely Leah!

Well, I thought Yurts were a more affordable type of housing.. Maybe not. I know nothing out of it. Maybe I'll build a wigwam.
SCORE! i've always wanted to spend an entire winter snowbound with my books.... *sigh*

i think yurts can be affordable if you work it right but they can EASILY cost you a fortune. the big cost is the canvas outer wall, but sometimes you can find a large quantity for a decent price from Army surplus stores.

eta: this site seems to have a TON of info. there's some specifics about cold climates also.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Excellent!

Great site, thanks Leah!

A shout-out to fellow Pagans: hope you are all having a great Mabon!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Happy Mabon to you too :)
I'd love to live on a place like that except for the weather. We go down to 10 degrees sometimes in the winter here and I wimp out then.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I hate the cold!!

Hey BB I think you are on the right track. Use that money for something tangible because, trust me, it will be gone in a flash!