Blackbird's SS Journal - Country to City

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I haven't decided. So far I'm just taking my generals, but everyone keeps signing me up for business classes - which is definitely not something I want to take right now. I need to call in yet again to have them change my schedule (I'm on break right now) - last time they gave me a class and I couldn't get out of it because the adviser said he 'didn't get' my email and he didn't return my calls until it was too late, so I could either pay for it and drop out, or pay for it and take it. So i took it and hated it. There is something definitely wrong so I'm going to transfer somewhere else as soon as possible.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am SO SURE that is not even legal. They can't make you pay for something you didn't put your signature on. Imagine that, if I started billing my clients for appointments that they didn't make. Ridiculous. Don't let them bully you into meeting their quotas. The adviser is a jerk with his/her own agenda, and not your best interests in mind. Yikes.

Sounds like they are trying to fill classes that they can't fill so they trick newbies into taking them. Wow. I am sitting here stunned...but not really surprised.

In the future, print out the email and show them your phone records and say if they want you to take the class so badly, they can pay for it. Sheesh. Triple sheesh.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Tell me about it Monique, it is SO wrong.

On Wednesday of the first week (the deadline to switch classes was that Friday) I emailed the adviser telling him that I wanted to change one class, because I hadn't signed up for it. It was a core course, not a general - since I have no clue what I want to do I just want to stick with generals for now.

I didn't hear back from him so that Friday I emailed him once again asking if he received my previous email.

Meanwhile, over the weekend I emailed the teacher of the class in question and explained to him that I might be switching classes, and that is why I hadn't done any of the work during that first week. The school has an on-site emailing system that they prefer you to use when contacting instructors so that is what I used this time, whereas I contact my adviser using my hotmail account.

Anyway, the adviser emailed on Monday saying no, that he had not gotten it (I don't understand how he couldn't because it was in reply to something he originally sent me).

So then I called him that same day (Monday) and talked to him about it. He said he would transfer me to someone in student services - but apparently she was out so he would have her get back to me later that day, or he would talk to her and call me back himself. I didn't hear anything that night. The next day (Tuesday), while I am away, of course, the lady from student services called. We didn't get back until 7 that night so I didn't call her until the next day.

When I called her back, (Wednesday)she said that since it was past the end date for switching classes, that I wouldn't be able to, UNLESS I had proof. I told her that I had proof that I contacted the adviser before (hotmail saves my sent messages!) and that he didn't get back to me in time.

So I forwarded her that email, and she called me back saying that she looked into it, and since I had logged into that class over the weekend (to explain to the instructor my absence) that there were technical issues as to why I could not transfer. Hey excuse was that they did not control the server so it was out of her hands. She said that I could either drop the class and pay for it, or I could take it and pay for it.

I'm not sure WHY they are pushing me into these core courses, unless they are classes that do not transfer well and they want me to take enough that I won't back out, and basically get stuck with it all.

Further more, when we met with one of the employees there about financial aid, we went over everything and in the end my grants and FAFSA would cover everything. Later, however, when we went in to go over grant info, we looked into it and I have almost $2000 that I owed that grants wouldn't cover. So it's a huge headache. So I need to call in and go over these other classes and ask about dropping out.. Something I don't want to do, but something is definitely wrong here.

And this has happened to me everywhere it seems like, both in public school and when I did it online in high school. It's like being in an educational limbo. This is why I had a really hard time deciding on schools and for a long time there, I decided that I wasn't going to go to college, because I just knew that something like this would happen. I have rotten luck.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Why is it that people feel they can overrun someone's wishes? I think part of the problem is that it's online and you're not really a person to them. Anyway, stand your ground! Don't give up or give in. I'm pretty good at intimidation, so call me if you need me. (Not as good as axe swinging OFG, though.)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes if you say you are dropping out, the games stop. I think it is now pretty standard to trick people into paying more and intimidating people into more than they agreed on.

I just got two bills in the mail marked Sept 13, and also marked 60 days past due. And for almost double the agreed-upon price. This was for installing my gas stove and is the FIRST bill I've seen so far....and 60 days past due? It wasn't even installed 60 days ago!

I called two days ago and little snot-faced "Nichole" told me "Gary" has to take care of this and he is "on the phone. " Think he called me back yet? Of course not! Wanna bet it goes to collections and messes with my credit rating? Of course!

What happened to honesty and service? The customer being right now and then? Basic politeness extended to customers?

It is everywhere. It is appalling. Don't let them run you over. I plan on showing up in person with those bills in hand asap. You might do the same thing. Bring someone older with you if possible. I will bring a MAN, as I've spoken to Gary before, and he obviously disdains women and lies like a rug. Yay. Can't wait.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wanna go, too! I love gettin in some lying salesman's face. My boss used to say, "Let Karen handle it. She knows how to get rid of them."

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Here's a thought.....do you really WANT to go to college right now? Maybe you should look into a trade school of some sort. Not everyone has to have a college education. My husband went for 3 years and dropped out. Hated it. Tried to go back (he works for Verizon and they would pay his fees for him) and after 3 classes I told him to stop...he was making me miserable.

Plenty of people make a good living with no college education...it's overrated sometimes. Just a thought. :hugs

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I tend to agree....do you really want a 60 hour a week office job? Imagine what you will be doing with this education and ask if you can live that way. You do need some education, but....sheesh. I don't have a degree and do ok. I suspect you will, too.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually, I have seen articles that say that trade schools are the better way to go. Too many kids coming out with degrees that aren't good for anything. I bet you would enjoy agriculture though.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm an advocate of trade schools also. My daughter has a masters degree in education and cannot get a teaching job. Still paying on student loans, too.
If you know a trade, you can usually get some kind of job, maybe even get a job where your OTJ training counts toward your schooling.

I worked for an electrical contractor for several years. He would hire young men (and women) toward the beginning of the school year with the understanding that they would attend the 4 yr. apprenticeship training. They worked a 40 hr. week and attended school 1 night a week for 4 hrs. They had to pay for their own tuition and books (he actually paid it, then treated it like a loan and deducted it from their paychecks in increments.) If they stayed with the company and stayed in school and maintained good attendance and C average, they were reimbursed everything they had paid for for the 4 years. I saw many young people who would have failed if they had tried to attend college, but through this program were able to become journeymen electricians. Many went on to take the test and get their on licenses and work for themselves.