Blackbird's SS Journal - Country to City

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Looks like you've got the basic needs met. I like your quilt. You have more furniture than I did for my first apt ;)
Take some leisurely walks around your neighborhood. You might even find some usefull discards. People often throw out perfectly usable stuff. That's how I managed to furnish a few of my early apartments and I still love going around the neighborhood, looking for "free" signs. (No, freemotion, I am NOT talking about you :p )

Get yourself a whistle and put it on your keychain. If you find yourself in trouble, blow the whistle nonstop. It'll annoy people to the point that they will look to see what is going on. Take a self defense class, it'll teach you how to be aware and make you feel less vulnurable. Carry a small bottle of spray cologne in you pocket, if someone tries to attack you, you can spray them in the face with it. These are just some of the things I have done. The best by far, was the self defense class.

If you find your sauerkraut too salty, you can rinse it with water. I don't know if you cooked it or not. When you do cook it, you can use white wine or beer instead of water to cook it. It'll add a different dimension to the kraut.
Personally I like it cooked in white wine, with onion, bacon and bayleaf added, served with mashed potatoes and sausages.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
A rape whistle eh?

No, I didn't know people cooked it.. Lol.

yes Monique, all to myself. All $580 a month, to myself.. :hit

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Blackbird.........I'm gonna give you some FREE advice, and it will be worth every penny.

Since your new to the big city.....When your walking down the street.....move with a purpose. Think military march but with a little more swagger. DO NOT walk like your an easy target. Walk like your stuff "clangs" if you get my drift.
If you act like a target you will become a target.
Be very aware of your surroundings, but don't be OBVIOUS about it.......just be alert and PAY ATTENTION. Look beyond your destination.

You also might want to reconsider that newly acquired jaywalking habit............about the time you get your first 100.00+ ticket, you'll understand. ;) DAMHIK.

Nice looking place you got there. My first apartment wasn't anywhere NEAR that nice, or that well furnished. :thumbsup

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nice looking place. Looks like it gives you enough space to move around in and at least you have a balcony. :thumbsup

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Well thanks, I guess. I'll remember that. I suppose it's better to look like an aggressor than be a victim.

This is actually one of the cheaper places we looked at. All of the others were pretty run down and in the 'ghetto' parts of town, and they were in the $400 range. I would have liked to have had a roommate but I don't know anyone and don't feel safe just staying with a stranger.

Really all I needed was the bathroom, and another room for sleeping and everything else. Heck I'd live off microwaved food if the rent was a lot cheaper! But we couldn't find any places like that and still have internet.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
A rape whistle eh?

No, I didn't know people cooked it.. Lol.

yes Monique, all to myself. All $580 a month, to myself.. :hit
I lived in "The Castro" (very gay) area of San Francisco for many years. There had been a number of attacks and the people of the neighborhood came up with the whistle idea. It was quite effective. Whenever we heard some serious whistle blowing, the people in our neighborhood came out of the woodworks to see what was going on. I still carry a whistle with me on my keychain. It is easy to use and loud!

And I second what SKR8PN says. Walk with a purpose, tall and straight, have eyes in the back of your head, and by all means, pay attention to your "Oh, oh" feelings. You might be over reacting, because you are not used to all the activity, but it won't hurt to play it safe. If you feel threatened, go into a store, stay in crowds, they are safer than you think.
Most people are nice and caring, it's just that the nasty people get so much more attention, in the media, the news etc

Find a mentor of sorts, who will show you the ropes of city living.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Any nice parks near you? Take a good book and sprawl out on the grass in the park.

Do you know how to ride the bus? (Do they even have mass transit there?)

I agree with Skr8pn walk like your stuff clangs, thats what I do. ;) Really, it is all in the attitude. I also walked/jogged with my keys sticking out between my fingers clenched in a fist. I called it my "Oriental Spike". :p

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Sally, I thought you said you used to dress like Cyndi Lauper???? Who would attack THAT?