Blackbird's SS Journal - Country to City

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I feel honored Shiloh :p

I have been carrying my pocket knife with me at all times, but hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

I love the way Cyndi dressed too! Why don't people dress like that more? Lol.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"...and I secretly hope that they are in debt." :lol: - I think you can be pretty sure that they are :lol:

You have your head very solidly on your shoulders, for all that I have read of your posts; you will do just fine, wherever you go and whatever you do. I wish that I had been as aware when I was your age. :thumbsup

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
freemotion said:
One of the best ways to stay safe is to learn how to do so by reading the book by the renowned expert, Gavin De Becker, The Gift of Fear. .
I love that book, I even bought a copy and mailed it to my sister overseas.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hey Blackbird! Looks good over here! What an adventure you are on... almost like being in a foreign country! So proud of you :thumbsup

When we were first married and lived in an apartment complex, there was an unwritten rule that anything good got set beside the garbage so others could see if they wanted it. We got tables, bookcases, and wooden chairs that way.

You're a very alert person so it won't be long before you begin to notice a new ebb and flow. You'll notice which days garbage is collected, to avoid the grocery on the first of the month when everyone goes to the grocery with their food stamps, weekends have different traffic cycles than weekday/workdays. Friday nights are their own thing. Stuff like that. It may not ever be comfortable but it should become more familiar as time goes on.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Find your closest library. You could spend hours there and learn something, too. Probably make some friends there as well.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey BB!

Lookin good :thumbsup

I agree that you have a good head on your shoulders but you have not had the chance to develop some good street smarts....you have gotten great advice though to help you on your way!

Thugs look for an easy target, so don't let yourself ever look timid....eyes up and look everyone in the eye until they break the gaze.

Becareful helpong people too.

Glad that you have a nice place to live and some good food....so let's hear about school!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Awwww....brings back memories!

Your place is nice....you could totally fit some chickens and a goat in there!

So how is school?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Nice apartment. Keep an eye out near the dumpsters for furniture. I got some nice stuff before that way. People tend to move out on the last couple days of the month and the 1st week of the new one.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looking good dude! Looks like you get some good sun on that balcony too :)

Totally agree on the attitude. Learn to take in everything you can about your surroundings with a glance, it will let you spot trouble a lot faster.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
:frow Sorry I'm late! Although I wasn't able to see the pics, I'm sure you've got some pretty nice digs! :D I think its great that you're 'out and about', and everyone has covered the basics, so I won't rehash that.

Can't wait to read about your city adventures! :pop