Blackbird's SS Journal - Country to City

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Your life has not quite begun yet, my friend.....I think 30 is the magic number. It is by then that many people start to feel a bit more sure of who they are. A bit.
Yup yup... Most everything up to that point for me was a "phase". Not a bad thing, but not the realio-trulio me either. Over the past couple of years I've learned a LOT about that woman. Thing is, I wouldn't be who I really am if I hadn't gone through all those phases.

:hugs and :smack for the predator!! Back off, chum!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
freemotion is right. 30+ the opinions and attitudes of others mean so much less. At 47 I am impervious to the narrow-minded. :D

As for people thinking you are a freak...join the crowd. I never really 'fit in". Too geeky for the normal kids. Not geeky enough for the geeks. An artist, but too logical to fit in with the art crowd. Concerned about the environment (even have 2 years of solar engineering) but not an eco-wacko....

I am an INDIVIDUAL. So are you. Claim it proudly!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you know, i dont even think i cared what other people thought when i was younger...

but i do know that i dont want to be in my 20's again. its a hard time - you think you know everything but are afraid to try anything. no money, a set of expectations and a path you think you are supposed to follow... but dont have a compass.

my brother got the best advice from someone which was, get a good education but dont plan on having a "real" job until you are at least 27. he took the advice, did a lot of in-country study programs and got a good education, saw the world (for the first time), made some great friends, did some stupid things, ended up at my door, broke - a couple of times - and now is living large.

the best was when he quit his by-the-hour-job in the fall and went and lived in Telluride working the ski season and living in a house with a bunch of people. he had a great time.

this is your life BB, sit down and figure out your biggest dream and then go and do it. the world is big and life is wide, you can do anything you want to.

if you dont like your area of the country, go west young man. freaks and nerds and weirdos roam the streets from seattle to portland, to san fran, and on down the line. no one will even think twice about you except to say, wow that guy has great hair.
;-)

and guess who also never fit it? ha! and no i havent thought about any of those people in years. and i still dont care what they think. whatever validation you think you need from someone else probably wont happen - so give it to yourself. now listen to your Auntie OFG, she knows what she is taking about. plus, we think you are the beez knees.

:)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Well golly gee. Thanks everyone :hugs

Tabatha.. I hope I don't change THAT much as I get older.. I like who I am!

I hope no one read my post the wrong way.. I don't need (or want) validation from anyone.. Which is why I posted that in the first place. It's just why I wouldn't really fit in here (especially in the city!) I'm sure everyone wants to fit in sometimes.. i might, I might not, but I'm not changing for other people. But being of a different frame of mind compared to many around here sure gets lonely. You get ostracized by most people.

Oh boy. No way - I don't know everything. Never have, never will, and never want to! People who think they know everything are pretty ignorant, I dare say.

Well, I'm off to romp the streets!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
Your a whole, what year, younger than me! I totally understand the whole "not fitting in with your age group" thing. :) I tend to befriend folks old enough to be my mothers or grandmothers. We fit in here. :D
I don't fit in w/most people. I'm waaaaay different than most people in this area. However, from what I"m seeing of the people on this forum, I fit in just fine. :rolleyes:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yep....we love ya!

I agree with OFG, travel....it's easy to do when you're young and don't have commitments. I would love to do some travelling now but with a 3 and 5 yr old and a mortgage it sure would be tough.

Go to Europe and work on a goat farm. Go to LA and teach all those hoity-toity movie stars how to have real hair. Go down south and work on your tan. The only limits you have now are in your mind. Embrace your freedom and live a little for the rest of us wanna be gypsies!!! :hugs

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw on another journal that you said the soaps weren't going so well. I haven't had much prepared for shows, but I know that at my yardsale, the one batch of soap I had actually sold pretty darn well. You've just got to get out there. You will probably sell more by getting to the public than you will with online sales, you just have to do it. I watch our local channel for upcoming shows, and we see signs for them while doing regular driving (or in your case, walking).