Blackbird's SS Journal - Country to City

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
OOOH a job at Good Will - now you are thinkin'! First crack at all of the good stuff. I LOVE thrift stores. Probably one of the best parts of living in the city. :D

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Good idea to work both angles! Have you thought about how you want to package your soap? Recyclable materials . . . a story about your goats . . . etc.? Sounds exciting! :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Ooooo you GOTTA put a pic of your goats on the bars of soap....they are too good looking to pass up!

Things are looking good! One of the best things I ever did was work when I was in school....makes you use your time wisely!

:thumbsup

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Well.. I finally tried that sauerkraut today! It's been fermenting for about a month (you didn't think I'd leave it behind did you?) at about 70 degrees, and then this past weekend at room temp.

I have never had sauerkraut before, so, I have to say, not bad! Rather salty but still quite yummy. Tastes a lot like pickles!! And the cabbage came from the garden at home, so it's all good.

Will I try SS stuff in the city? You're funny Monique! Of course! I brought my kefir, kombucha, (plan on seeing if Sally has SD starter for me), my mom brought me two dozen eggs from home from our chickens and two gallons of fresh goat milk. Also, several bags of frozen fruit and veggies from our place too. I've also been using a lot of coconut oil.

I found that Cash Wise has an excellent natural foods and organic section, so I bought a couple things there.

I've been to Goodwill twice and bought a couple things cheap there, too. (No plastics! Ceramics, glass, and a nice huge stainless steel bowl that was $3)

I still need to get some of those long rectangle plant boxes to put on my balcony. I brought seeds with and I think I can get a couple salads planted in and harvested yet. Someone on the third floor has a nice big tomato plant growing on their balcony, and the rectangle boxes with salad greens.

Otherwise, I've been fighting bed bugs!! My mattress is on the floor, so I ground some pepper and sprinkled that around the bed, as I read that helps deter them. But my mom is bringing DE with her when she comes on Friday.

You guys have prepared me well! Now, do you think they'd notice a couple chickens and a goat in my apt?
Good Morning, Blackbird.
How life so far inside of a city? (I do keep up with your journal :D).
4Q's - have you used the DE yet?
Has it worked?
My oldest daughter and her daughter, live in Louisville, Ky - downtown.
Louisville ranks 13 out of 15 large cities infested with bedbugs.
I want to possibly have a way to keep those nasties away from my daughter and my grandgirl.

Did you get the Goodwill job?
Any more news on marketing your soaps at the healthfood store?

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I had company, sorry for the bit of delay.

Hi Country Freedom!

I'm about to walk over to another store and see if they would be interested in such a thing!

I haven't heard anything from Goodwill yet.

YES! I did try DE and I think that did the trick! No more itchy bites or anything. It took a couple days to get working. I sprinkled it around the bed, under the bed, and under my sheets, just in case.

I also have a question for anyone that might be able to help me.

I'm trying to order something online and it says I need to create an account with them first, before I check out. On their create an account page, it says that I must add the 'Tax/VAT Number'. It says this is required. Any idea where I can find out what this number is supposed to be??