Blackbird's SS Journal - Country to City

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think you should try ever possible means to sell :)

However, I was lucky enough to find a FUN job with flexible hours. I do have to work with the public though :( I work at a (good) pet store, and I can easily chose hours!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
What do you all think? Is this do-able? Or do I have to subject myself and delve into society's oppression and standards of what is 'normal', which I obviously am not.
I think it is absolutely doable. You already have your numbers in place, you just need a place to sell them. Please do not give in to society's expectations. You would be caving in way to early. Give the soap 110% before you even think about it...

If it were me, I wouldn't do a website. Shipping gets to be a pain. Of course it is more anonymous and you don't have to deal with people directly so much. Many boutique and specialty type stores will buy items like this wholesale directly from you. They probably are not going to have them in the store and pay you a percentage on a $5 item. It's too much to keep track of.

If you want to sell through stores rather than on-line you could get together a sampling of 10 or 20 and come up with a "wholesale" price of maybe... say $5 each. You'll need to make an appointment with the manager or owner and offer to sell them 10 or 20 to see how sales do. Then because they're boutiques, they'll turn around and sell them for anywhere from $8-$12 depending on their clientele... but you're still getting your $5. Now is a great time to do this because many little shops are looking for small items to have at the register that people can grab as stocking stuffers for Christmas.

Make sure if you want to sell "wholesale" that your soap has a story. Stories sell in retail. Have a little story about your goats, or the process you use to make them and the fact that it's a local product.

Types of stores that may be good fits: local independent book stores, high end women's clothing, clothing consignment stores, art and craft galleries, tea shops, stationery/paper stores, etc.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With your soap story, have pics of your goats. You might want to try all the ways you mentioned, then stick with the one or 2 that do best for you. I also like the idea of a pet store. You are so good with animals, you shouldn't have any problem with a job like that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I agree with all of this....Go for it! It takes time to get a business up and running, but you have savings, so you have time.

Remember, larger wholesale orders will want a lower price per bar, so decide what your price breaks will be. Figure out what will be worthwhile for you....is it worth taking $4 per bar if they buy 144 bars all at once? Sure, you make less, but you don't have to hoof it all over, trying to sell your soap.

You might find it worthwhile to get a very part time job, like one evening a week or something like that, at a place that will put you into contact with the right kind of people and allows you a bit of conversation. Retail clerk, for example, but cashier, not so much unless it is slow. If you get good at conversation with strangers, you will be amazed at the contacts you can make and where it can take you.

That is one reason why I keep my 4-hours-a-week corporate-type job. I have met some amazing people that I otherwise wouldn't have, being a shy homebody. I have a woman coming over tomorrow to spend the day with me, helping me promote my new business via the computer. I found myself in a situation where I protected her from a predator a few weeks ago, and she was so greatful, she has been looking for a way to repay me. I did not expect it, but sure will accept it! You never know what will happen if you put yourself out there.

Don't forget to advertise your soap on craigslist, but never have anyone come to your apartment or put yourself in a situation where they could follow you home. Meet at a public place where you can hang out for a long time, giving them time to leave and where you can be safe if it ends up being someone creepy. I've had some great things come out of craigslist, and some weirdos, too.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I talked about my soap experiences on the eating well in the city thread.

As for jobs ... they are not all alike. I worked for Tractor Supply Co in my area for several years where my personal knowledge made me valuable. It was like a haven in the city for people like us. Also there are jobs as "kennel worker" at most veterinarians, some groomers, and even the dog pound. Kennel tech is how my D1 got interested in being the vet tech that she is today.

If you HAVE to have a 40 week job at least you can be with the animals.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey, I'm an alpaca midwife for my "job." Not one person (except my husband) thought it was doable or would make any money. Well, 10 years later and I'm still doing it and making money (and how odd is my way of making money!). If I can make money doing that, you can make money with your own ideas. In this economy you have to be creative and think outside the box. Go for it.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I say go for it on the soaps. Sent you a pm, btw.
Part time Job opportunities to check on:
Zoos, cleaning etc. Pet walking (be very, very choosy) Vintage clothing stores or resale shops. Old book stores. You can sometimes find small jobs, cleaning, resorting that sort of thing. A couple of hours a day a few times a week, just for ready cash.
Good luck!!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Soaps are a great idea. The local yoga/exercise studio here has some hand-made soaps for sale in a basket by the check in counter. Our orchard down the street (maple products, apples, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) has a basket on the counter next to the register. Our hospital gift shop has soap stocked (I'm working on making that *my* soap :cool:). They are a very popular impulse buy in many places.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Blackbird, you've been in my thoughts all day. I'd like to share a bit of wisdom (?) if I could. As you're settling into your new way of life, leave yourself open to making new friends. And one of the greatest ways to make a new friend, and be of help to someone else is to befriend an elderly neighbor. Just sitting for a few minutes with someone like that will not only brighten their day, but you'll be amazed what you can learn from the elderly. (And the plates of homemade cookies they'll make you can't hurt either).

My husband (although a real rounder in his day) was basically a very shy person. When he became a woodworker and had to sell his work, he had to teach himself to carry on conversations with his potential customers. Sometimes at a craft show I would look around and he would be sitting on a bench, talking to an old gentleman about his woodworking days. He remembered every customer and the piece they bought and that made them feel special.

Now he doesn't do as much woodworking, but we're at the farmers market every Saturday and you would never believe he had a shy bone in his body. In fact when we have a new vendor who is kinda shy, the market manager will point out my husband as an example of someone who is friendly and makes his customers smile. We laugh and cut up with people and they return to us week after week.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you have to put yourself right out there and force yourself to meet people. I know it can be agonizing when you're shy, but you'll feel so much better when you can greet people with a smile and they smile back.

Sorry if I rambled. :hide

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BB - if you would want to do a website for your soaps, www.webs.com offers free websites. There is just advertising at the top of your pages. It is fairly simple to put together too. It will take a little time to figure things out but you would be able to do it. I would explore all avenues to sell your soap.

Latest posts