Bloodbath: Drawing blood on the goaties, video links p 3

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks FF!

I was just wondering how long the blood would stay good in the vacuum tube if I chickened out after the first one and it took me a week to regain my confidence. LOL. A month maybe? ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
No clue. It may be OK in there, after all that is what it is shipped to the lab in and I am sure that sometimes takes many days.

Maybe I could ask my D1.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
When will I get brave? NEVER!

No.. Sometime before they kid on a warm day I guess. We can't have our gloves off for too long or we freeze.

Is there a time limit for how long the blood can be in the tube?

I don't know FF... I must flip coins and shoot pool differently.. :idunno

If I only had three arms and hands... darn.
Actually, the brave part comes after the action....the rule is, the emotion follows the action. That is my motto. If I wait until my feelings about a matter are perfect, well, I will sit on my tuckus for a long time. The feeling follows the action, most people live their lives vice versa.....when it feels right, I'll do it. Well, ya won't do much.

That wasn't a rant at you, brave guy, you try so many things! It was just a rant at the vast majority of people.....definitely not the population of this forum!

By "the tube" I think you mean the vacuum tube that you ship? You should pull the blood and put it in a box and ship it, but you can store the tubes in the fridge overnight. So start early in the day, if you learned anything from the videos....nothing goes as planned! :lol:

Preferred brands....I have a bunch of luerlocks that work just fine. They are very old....close to twenty years, and still good. They came individually wrapped, so the rubber hasn't dried out. I have been buying a few goat-sized needles at TSC, a pathetic 5 at a time. I used to order big boxes for the horse farm. Our vets were known to call me when they were doing rounds in the area and stock up if they were running out of anything! :p

If you have a good relationship with your vet, you might be able to buy a few from him/her. Some states don't allow you to buy them legally without a prescription, like MA. I am in CT all the time, so I just buy them there. Some companies don't look at the state when they ship, so you can try ordering even if your state doesn't allow it. ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
what will you do with mya the CAE positive goatie - can you use the milk or are her milking days over?
I've found no research that the milk from CAE positive goats is in any way harmful to humans, (OK, I haven't looked too hard....yet....) and we've been using it for a year now, so I plan on continuing to use it. However, I want to keep doelings if we get any, and I want to give them a long and reasonably pain-free life if I can. I am of the mindset that mama's should raise their babies, and I do want keeper doelings to nurse naturally, but not at the expense of future suffering. So we will check on poor Mya every five minutes as her date draws near, and whisk the kids away from the poor thing.