Bloodbath: Drawing blood on the goaties, video links p 3

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do they cry? When you leave without milking? :hit I'm feeling soft right now. I can kick a rooster, no problem, but my goaties.....

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
:lol:

Nope!

'Finally! No getting up early in the morning to have those cold icy hands touch me!'

They are all quite content with lazing around and just eating instead of having to take their turns on the stand.

Doesn't mean you can't put her on and give her hugs and kisses still!

They ARE just like people though, aren't they? Our friends who come over are always amazing at how diverse their personalities and attitudes are, especially if someone gets on the milk stand out of order. They have their good days and bad days, just like people. Like little kids really, how can you NOT love them??

There are times when I just want to rip my hair out, but over all they are worth it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, my most often repeated line here is, "It's a GOOD THING YOU'RE CUTE!!!!" Mostly said to the dogs, but often to a goat.

Dad milked this morning into a 24 oz jar and said Mya was uncomfortable. I may just let him milk for the rest of this process because I may keep milking in a weak moment.....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We skipped milking last night and this morning Mya's udder looked like it did just before she kidded a year ago! It had the "shelf" at the top. Poor thing. She was walking like she had a load in her pants.....

I milked into a 24 oz jar and blew the foam off three times so I could really fill it. I left with a heavy heart.....I am such a softy.

Not really.

Here are the links to the little bit of footage that dh got and put on youtube. We are video and youtube newbies, so bear with us. DH doesn't use spellcheck, either, and types too fast! However, I am the one who embarrasses myself the most...... :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAtzzOVLkYg&feature=email

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVCskFOCMak&feature=email

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7n1u6UiKo8&feature=email

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

:th

You made it look so easy!

I'm still not sure whether I should draw the blood the first way, as the vacuum tubes came with those double ended needle things, or do it the way you did on Taya. I'm more familiar with the second way so maybe I'll do it like that.

Yes, your DH might want to proof-read next time
"this father and daughter routine make a laughable pair as they in the first of series 3 short viedo's try to draw blood to send to a lab to see if she is pregnant."

So... Are you pregnant Monique?

:lol: :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wow Monique, that was awesome! I can give shots, but I havn't tried to draw blood...you make it look easy!

And BB, a NINE year old?? Way cool, plus she is a SHE! Love it!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yes, Merle, that is the kid dad was referring to....did you hear the annoyance in my voice? :p Yep, I think you are correct...I think that is a knocked-out goat.....(maybe knocked up, too?)

Um, NO, I am NOT pregnant....my eggs are old, and they have not been refrigerated!

I make it look easy????? Did you count how many times I stuck a needle into the same poor little goatie?????

And we actually gave up on Ginger once, sent her back out and got Willow to practice on. I could NOT get a needle into a vein on Ginger. Of course, I had switched back to the double needles that came with the kit, not having learned my lesson the first time...and the second time....and the third time....

Use the tool you are familiar with. I would use a shorter needle next time, but that needle was purchased to give IM injections to a horse. I would get a needle that is an inch or less next time for a goat. There was far less bleeding with the smaller gauge needle, too.

I encourage you to try it. What have you got to lose but your dignity? And you will only lose that if you film it and post it online! :D The biggest challenge is restraining the goat. We backed them up into a corner, dad straddled them and held the head up high against his body. Even Mya with her horns....she lives to have someone scratch her between her horns, which dad did the entire time. She was in heaven, and behaved PERFECTLY. I

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm planning on using 20 gauge half inch needles, sound good? The thing I worry about with long needles is if I have it stuck in just far enough I don't want them to jerk forward and have the needle go in too far.
Blahhh. Now I just need a nice day to do this!

Yes, I heard the annoyance; wasn't sure if it was because of him, the goat, or the 9 y/o though... or a combination! LOL.

Restraint will be a big issue here too. We'll have to use the milk stand to help... You've already heard my story about being dragged across the yard... Um.. YEAH. Milk stand = MUST HAVE!

..Film it and post online..? What's that? Never heard of such a thing. No can do!

-hides-