Bones clicking and popping.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm surprised joint hypermobility didnt come up in this conversation (yet). About 10% of the population has benign or non-generalized joint hypermobility. Lax ligaments allow more motion in the joint which permits excess popping and clicking.

In females, ligament laxity is more pronounced in the luteal phase of the menstrual cycle. (And during pregnancy, and thereafter a second pregnancy).

Vitamin C may help over long term. Glucosamine sulfate may help in those who also have allergic symptoms. Glucosamine sulfate inhibits mast cells in connective tissue. Theres a hypothesis (research pending) that mast cell activity causes the degradation of collagen in hypermobility disorders.

Prolotherapy and physical therapies are the best current treatments for hypermobility. A physical therapist can teach you how to move without stretching the joint capsule.

Clicks can be tendon snaps. If so, a physical therapist can help you with that too.

Massage therapy is not recommended in general for hypermobility, except if needed to correct a subluxation or relieve pressure on nerves.

Sorry to write a book! I hope it helps the next person who searches fir or stumbles upon this thread!
I was told massage was not recommended for my conditions, its not safe for everyone. But as for glucosamine I regret that I stopped taking this ,after reading your input I think I will order it again. Thanks :)
Please don't stop, this is very interesting to me and thank you for your post.

Now you may find me a little to chatty but I'm excited about finding this....
I came across a one clip posted by a chiropractor on YouTube last night. For a curved neck, he did these four stretch motions. He described these movements as Y W and L, the fourth was placing your shoulders back and arms behind then holding each wrist as you turn your head.

I tried it out and it felt so good, so as I got out of bed this morning I did it again.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Massage is appropriate if provided by someone who is licensed, and knows what they are doing. Massage works to improve muscle balance, and to promote circulation, which can promote healing.
I miss being massaged :)

In some circumstances, I'm sorry I do not have the correct term for this other way of massage other than the suction method, just as an example. The suction could be a little harsh for some people, so I think lifting rather the pressure may be a better option.

Vitamin C, I agree is a very important for many ailments and as a preventative.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I miss being massaged :)

In some circumstances, I'm sorry I do not have the correct term for this other way of massage other than the suction method, just as an example. The suction could be a little harsh for some people, so I think lifting rather the pressure may be a better option.

Vitamin C, I agree is a very important for many ailments and as a preventative.
Cupping is preferred to massage for people with hypermobile joints, however, many people with hypermobility disorders may have tissue fragility as well so that cupping causes excessive bruising.

I have a hypermobility disorder, but thankfully cupping works well for me. My doctor suggested it.

If chiropractor is too aggressive of therapy, a manipulation by a doctor of osteopathy might work well. I had that done because my ribs and pelvis (SI joint) get misaligned and/or subluxate. It helped but was too expensive to do as often as I needed.

@FarmerJamie , is your family dealing with this stuff too?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@tortoise the wife does have hypermobility issues and is susceptible to bruising. She has so much going on, this is way down on the list. She also is particular to being touched by strangers. She does get knots in her back, along her spine, which I will massage out manually. I also massage the spot in her palm between her thumb and pointer finger with my thumb to reduce migraine pain. That's about it

Not trained in any sense, just seem to have an innate ability to gently resolve the issues as they occur.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me wonder how many of our health issues are caused by the food we eat. Every thing on the grocery store shelves is processed. Fresh vegetables from our gardens, wrought by our own hands gives the benefits of exercise and good food. If unable to grow all that we want due to health issues or space, we can find small farmers and purchase from them. Those of us with excess can bless those around us. While eating from our gardens, meat we raised, fresh milk, or eggs from our hens, may not address all our health problems, it sure goes a long way.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Reading this thread makes me wonder how many of our health issues are caused by the food we eat. Every thing on the grocery store shelves is processed. Fresh vegetables from our gardens, wrought by our own hands gives the benefits of exercise and good food. If unable to grow all that we want due to health issues or space, we can find small farmers and purchase from them. Those of us with excess can bless those around us. While eating from our gardens, meat we raised, fresh milk, or eggs from our hens, may not address all our health problems, it sure goes a long way.
I think most of them. However, I believe how we ate as children is the #1 factor. If you want a fascnating read on the topic, Deep Nutrition by Catherine Shanahan MD aka Dr Cate is one of the best books I have ever read. Mind blowing!