Book: Lost Art of Real Cooking

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
That's how I read it although it seems wasteful to use some cukes for the brine and then tossing them. I got the impression that maybe they were using the ones that had gotten too big to pickle for the rindes and then using the smaller ones to pickle.

Then I tried to google the term to see if I could find it in the Old English or some old recipes or something... Let's just say don't do that. None of the results had anything to do with cooking.

I found a couple of Old English dictionaries but neither of them had entries for rind, rinde, or rindes.

I guess the search wasn't a complete loss, I found a really cool website called "Uncle Phaedrus, Consulting Detective and Finder of Lost Recipes" that seemed like a really fun recipe site. I'm going to check it out more in a bit. They had some recipes for "Stickles" which are pickles made out of the big almost yellow but not rotten cukes.
I love his website. I have spent many hours there.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh for rice, I saw a chinese gal on tv cooking and she said rinse all rice before cooking to remove starch. which I do and yes it fluffs up better than ever. good tip from her.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The intro. in The Lost Art of Real Cooking explains the recipe format. It is the only way old recipes were written and it was more like reading a story. The newer format, with a list of ingredients first, came about during the 1930s when people began needing to have a "list" to take to the store with them. In the old days there was no store to run to and therefore a list was not necessary.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Becca, I got cut off earlier. I was going to ask that if you do get the forgotten skills book, please give us a review. I wanted to try that one too but our library didn't have it and I didn't want to buy it on a whim. I saw the gal on TV while I was working at the Hospitality House and she seemed like a really neat, down to earth, no-nonsense sort of person so I have a feeling that book would be good too.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Pie Crust: OH MY!!! I am swooning. The first time I rolled it out a couple of days ago, I forgot to do the folding and it was good. I made a fresh rhubarb pie this morning and rolled the crust out doing the folding in 1/2 and then in 1/4. Flakes that you could see, even on the bottom. The recipe I was using before usually got a little soggy and this was still firm. It also didn't have the funny aftertaste that I think the lard crusts have where they brown on the edges.

I can't wait to try another one tomorrow and use the leftovers to make the cinnamon roll-ups that I make for DH with the leftover dough.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
For me the biggest challenge with rice is making sure you buy the right rice! I ONLY buy Uncle Ben's now because all the cheapo brands are horrible! Uncle Bens long grain white or brown rice...that's the way to go!!! And I grew up microwaving rice...1.5 c rice to 3 c water and microwave covered for about 12-15 minutes. If it's not done at 12 minutes (there will be water in the bottom) then go a little longer. You want the water to be just absorbed adn there will be holes through the rice. YUM! Although now I bake my brown rice using Alton Brown's recipe, though I don't bring my water to a boil anymore, just toss it in a baking dish and cover tightly with foil. It's so easy and comes out great!

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got the book in the mail on a Friday. I bought it to take with me on our campout. I had to keep myself from reading the whole thing before I left on Sunday. Stayed up almost all night reading it by flashlight. I read the whole book. I love it. We just returned from vacation so I haven't had a chance to try anything yet. I think my first experiment is going to be butter and pickles. I've made both before but, never like this book describes. I can't wait I hope my cucumbers hurry up.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I just ordered this book on Amazon. Like new condition - used - $2.69 plus $3.99 shipping.

Sitting out near the garden in the evening browsing books like this is my best relaxation.
X2. Hope Amazon has enough for us!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Glad you're enjoying it!

I'm laughing at myself because I was rereading in Nourishing Traditions the other day and their rice recipe is almost the exact same. It just doesn't read quite as exciting! :lol:

Anyway, that pie crust recipe is saving me some $$! DH has been taking pie to work on weekends and has a bunch of his co-workers drooling. I'm trading a pie for a water filter install this week! :clap

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's awesome Framing Fowl! Sounds like a decent trade to me.