Book: Lost Art of Real Cooking

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I just checked this book out from the library and LOVE it!!!

The Lost Art of Real Cooking: rediscovering the pleasures of traditional food one recipe at a time. I read it like you would read a novel, then I went back and am now experimenting with the recipes. It's a no nonsense, back to the basics with very little measuring sort of book.

Here's some of my favorite quotes from the introduction:

"For the past half century, Americans have been convinced that cooking is drudgery, an odious task to be avoided at any cost, so that time might be freed up to do other more Important Things..."

"We intend to make the process of cooking as long, difficult, and arduous as possible - for a few very simple reasons. Cooking slowly with patience is inherently entertaining, and the food it yields tastes better, costs less, and connects you with the people you feed in a way that a prefabricated meal can never hope to do. There is, it cannot be denied, unspeakable pleasure in providing sustenance for others with the labor of one's own hands."

"We intend to cut no corners, use no labor saving devices or modern equipment..."

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Here ya go:

Cooking rice : which has been one of my time tested kitchen failures and I refuse to buy a rice cooker. Last night for the first time it came out perfectly and MyT Man sampled it and said "Why haven't we eaten this before???"

So not verbatim but how to cook rice:

Glug of olive oil in pan and add rice (however much you would like to eat but don't fill pan more than 1/2way due to expansion.

crank the heat and stir continuously for about 5 minutes until rice is toasted golden brown

add chopped onions, herbs, maybe saffron and stir until they take on some color, add a pinch of salt if you're going to cook with water, none if using broth

Then all at once, add either water or a good chicken broth. Stand back as the whole thing will splatter violently, which is half the fun! Pour in liquid about 1 inch above the rice, give it a good stir cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Let rest for 10, eat!

Rice will come out perfect every time.

Tada!!!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Oh, and my next one that I want to try is breads. They make it sound so normal and easy, with NO MEASURING!!!

Sprouted grain bread:

soak wheat berries on morning. drain and rinse in the evening. Rinse and drain twice a day until they sprout. White sprout shoud be about 1/3 length of the grain but don't be fooled by the skinny little rootlets, which are longer and wigglier than a true sprout.

Once they are perfect, put them through meat grinder. Grind the whole mess several times over, the more consistent the texture, the better your bread shall be. Keep in mind that after baking, any little unmashed pieces of grain will be hard enough to crack teeth.

After several passes, mashed wheat becomes cohesive dough. Knead the sticky mess and let it sit awhile. Of course, it isn't going to rise, but because it's so full of magic germinating energy, I do let it rest.

Shape dough into oblong loaves, maybe two inches tall and the size of fist with thumb tucked under. Let loaves sit a bit before slashing thrice with sharp knife and put in slow oven (250-300*) for a couple of hours

When your whole house smells like honey and hay, and the loaves are crusty and deeply colored, pull them from the oven.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
What I like about it is the common sense. What does it smell like when it's done? What does it look like when you add the next glug or dollop. But there's still enough guidelines that you feel like you couldn't possibly mess anything up! I guess it just suits my learning style.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Rice has always been one of my "failures"... may come out perfect 1 in 5 times, otherwise it sticks to the pot, is gummy, etc. And we are big rice eaters, but I HATE instant rice. (And I have refused to buy a rice cooker also -one more appliance to take up cabinet space.) Can't wait to give this recipe a try. Thanks! :D

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just ordered this book on Amazon. Like new condition - used - $2.69 plus $3.99 shipping.

Sitting out near the garden in the evening browsing books like this is my best relaxation.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Sounds like my kind of cookbook also. I hate measuring anyway and tend not to be very precise about it either. My Grandmother didn't teach me to cook that way either. She used tems like dollop, pinch, a handfull, or "cup your hand this way" ;)
It is way more fun to cook like that.
I am putting it on my book list.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Sounds great!! *off to the library*

Oh! That reminds me, I have two books (well three now, I bet lol) to add to my Amazon wishlist :p

My way to cook rice was taught to me by my dad and to him by his mom. Rinse rice and put in a pot. Add water (1:2 rice:water). The colder the better. Bring slowly to a boil (so medium high, not high heat). Once it has a rolling boil, turn heat to a simmer, cover, and steam for 20 minutes.

The only fail I've had on this was not turning the heat down enough, and not adding extra water for really dry days in Colorado.

It makes sticky rice. Perfect to go with asian dinners.

It only works on white rice. Basmati or sushi rice. Some sushi rices need a 1:3 rice:water.