Boom Birds

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was sitting here minding my own business. When all of a sudden it sounded like two gunshots went off right outside the cave. Both dogs went from full on nap to full attack mode instantly. My wife's dog, goes to the window and moved the curtains to look out and I looked out over top of him.

Laying on the ground are two of these birds. I don't know what kind the are, but they both hit the window hard enough to sound like gun shots. Both were still breathing and laying on their side, when I went outside to look at them. So I picked both of them up and stroked their heads and set them back on the ground on their feet.

When I went to check on them a few minutes later they both were where I left them. I picked one up and it flew off out of my hand. I picked the other one up, stroked it's little head again and gently tossed it into the air, It flew off also.

Just a really odd thing... What could I use on the windows to prevent this from happening again? They are Anderson triple pane high efficiency windows. The windows have a bit of mirrored kind of look from the outside.

Anyone know what kind of birds these are? I'm not much of a bird watcher.
IMG_20210421_111710077_HDR~2.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never mind... I believe I positivly identified them, as male brown headed cowbirds.

Jesus is Lord and Christ🙏❤️🇺🇸

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They were probably fighting! Trash birds that are too lazy to rear their own young. Unsuspecting song birds that end up raising the babies of these alien invaders usually loose their own babies in the process b/c the cow birds grow faster and push the other babies out of the nest.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They were probably fighting! Trash birds that are too lazy to rear their own young. Unsuspecting song birds that end up raising the babies of these alien invaders usually loose their own babies in the process b/c the cow birds grow faster and push the other babies out of the nest.
Bully birds.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I notice more around when the red-wing blackbirds are numerous around our pond. The female cowbird looks very similar to the female red-wing blackbird. I have never witnessed another breed of bird raise one and wonder if they target a certain breed of bird? I did know that they did lay eggs in other bird's nests.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They have a very pretty song, like water dropping into a tin bucket, but I do not like this bird for various reasons.