Boot Birdhouse

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Are you going to wax or oil them up so they are nice and weather proof? They look awsome! (hope the birds think so!)

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I took some more pics, closer up this morning. Now I am trying to edit them...they didn't turn out the greatest, but hopefully it gives you a better idea as to how they were made. We probably wont wax or oil them. My hubby will likely have another pair of boots to do this with in the next couple years, so its okay if they don't last forever. :)

The hole:

3140_march_2011_041.jpg

The back of the boot:

3140_march_2011_046.jpg

The inset:

3140_march_2011_045.jpg

Sorry about the big shadow on the last pic :(

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Please don't feel the need to apologize for your pics. I think they're great - thanks. I have an old rotten pair of boots around the shop somewhere. Hmmm I think I'll dawn a gas mask and go look for them.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was so excited yesterday to spy a little wren carrying sticks into one of the birdhouse boots! I had hung one boot in the trees, and one by the front door, more for decoration. Well, the little wren chose the one by the front door for whatever reason. Hopefully we don't scare it off coming in and out! I'll try to get a picture tonight after work.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Tenants already? :D

I wouldn't worry about her being close to the door. We have a family of rocky mountain finches that nest in a candle holder hanging from the rafter of the front porch. They keep coming back year after year even though we sit on the porch a lot.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love your boot birdhouses, calendula and congrat's on the new tenants! :cool:

Might just try this using doc's old calf-high Doc Martens. I used my old DM hikers and turned them into a sedum planter.

Our Carolina Wren pair in TN nested in a gourd birdhouse hanging on our front porch for years. Anytime a black snake was in the vicinity we knew about it from all the noise the two of them would make at the window screen. They had us well trained! :gig