Boot Birdhouse

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of our new tenants, a pair of house wrens. The boot they chose is right next to the walk leading to the stairs for the front door:

July2011007.jpg

One bird has been bringing twigs and stuffing into the boot, while the other sits on top or nearby and keeps a look-out, calling all the while:

July2011001.jpg

July2011002.jpg

July2011003.jpg

July2011004.jpg

July2011005.jpg

July2011006.jpg

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Calendula,

That is a neat idea, although my guys' boots smell so bad I don't think there's a bird on this planet that would live in them! :lol:

Are you using those other shoes for planters?

TroutsChicks

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
:love the birdhouse! What an awesome idea. I have a pair of old boots and soon to have another pair I was just gonna throw away. We have wrens always getting into our shed or outside laundry bin ( made a nest on our dirty clothes in a day! ) maybe this will keep them out! I hope they like the smell of feet! :sick
Love your yard!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Calendula,

That is a neat idea, although my guys' boots smell so bad I don't think there's a bird on this planet that would live in them! :lol:

Are you using those other shoes for planters?
Hi, I'm sorry I missed your question way back when! :hide Yes, we used the other shoes for planters. I take the kids shoes that they outgrow (so fast!) and plant flowers in them. They are super cute!

From what I know about birds, their sense of smell isn't the greatest, so I wouldn't worry about how stinky the boots are. :) My husband's feet sure don't smell like roses, but the wrens were still happy to shack up in his boots.

Latest posts