Bought a meat slicer!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow!!! Great find Dace. The one I have on my counter is huge. But I am saving big time roasting and slicing myself so it will stay there. Last week I bought some London broil on sale. Cooked it quickly on the bbq, med rare at the most. I sliced it across the grain. Was sooooo good. Used the left overs for some steak sandwiches. Lunch meat is so crazy expensive. Definitely a money saver.

I tried cheese last week. Just gummed up the whole thing, kinda a pain to clean. But worked fine.

Great job, gina

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hubby and I were at Bass Pro in auburn Hills, MI yesterday. ( we got a turkey fryer--that will probably not ever be used fro frying turkeys, and a new dehydrator !) (we almost bought a smoker too but hubby says he can make one)
Anyhoo, we were looking at the meat slicers, and hubby wanted to know if we cooked one of our chickens up and then wanted to slice the breast up, will it be thin and intact, like the sliced meat at the deli? I didn't have an answer for him. We don't ever buy deli meat, but
it would be nice to be able to thinly slice them.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well ours slices pretty thin but not quite deli (wafer) thin.

I love it and am so happy I got it!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought a rolled turkey breast from the freezer dept. The netted kind. Roasted it, wrapped it in foil and refrigerated it over night. Then sliced it the following day. It was about as thin as you would want it. Perfect for sandwiches. I do have a big slicer though. But it is possible.

gina

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I bought a rolled turkey breast from the freezer dept. The netted kind. Roasted it, wrapped it in foil and refrigerated it over night. Then sliced it the following day. It was about as thin as you would want it. Perfect for sandwiches. I do have a big slicer though. But it is possible.

gina
The thing is, I don't buy any meat from the grocery store--I rais all my own meat, or we hunt it. (exception being bacon for now) I don't need the meat to be paper thin, but just wondering, if I used my own chicken breast or a deer roast, how thin it might slice --just to know whether a meat slicer would be a good investment, or just keep with the knife.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think if you have a sharp knife and are a good slicer you could probably get by without buying one. Dace and I were trying to figure out ways to save money on school lunches. With my dh and 3 kids I am going through a ton of lunch meat. I don't think I would want to slice that by hand. Or even that I could.

The meat slicer I have was given to me. so I just knida fell into it.

good luck,

gina

Latest posts