Bread Crumbs

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tell me how you make your bread crumbs and do you flavor them and how long can you store them etc.?

Or do you just store buy bread crumbs?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I store them in the freezer. They can taste pretty stale fast if you make your own. JMO

I rarely make any but usually they're just plain, no added seasoning, etc. Dang spoiled hens get the potential bread crumbs.

BusyBlonde

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I usually only make them as needed, or to use up bread that's going stale. I just put the bread in the food processor and pulverize them to the size I need. I don't do anything else to them unless the recipe I'm using wants seasoned breadcrumbs, then I'd add some italian seasoning and garlic powder.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome BusyBlonde;

Back to original thread----

Framerchick- I do just about what Busy does, some times I toast the bread first, that way if I want seasoned crumbs I butter the bread season it with what ever and slow toast in oven(only if Iam already turning it on for something else) them crunch it up. I find if I freeze them they last longer at least a few months.

bB

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My kids don't like to eat bread "butts" so we toss them into a bag in the freezer, then we buzz them in the food processor as needed. No seasoning other than what is in the recipe they go into, and they're always made "fresh" every time we use them. Plus they are from home made bread, so always whole wheat :)

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you can season and cook in the oven...
makes the best stuffing...
but generally I crumble up sometimes..use the blender
for any left over crumbs crackers or what not...I also..fill my spice jars and throw the dropped extras into the container as well...
and use as a home made shake and bake..
:plbb :tongue :plbb

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Like Moolie I save all ends and bits of bread. Some I let dry out, or dry in the dehydrator or oven, and make dry, fine crumbs from; I've found that the blender does this best, better than the food processor. Some of the bread gets thawed from the freezer, and is made into "fresh" fluffy crumbs, and this I do in the food processor. The fine crumbs are great for breading chicken or cutlets, and the fluffy ones make a nice topping for macaroni and cheese or things like that - though I have been known to use whatever is handiest for either job. If I already have lots of crumbs then I will cut the leftover bread into croutons, and dry them. I find they keep perfectly well in a large glass jar in my storage room. This might mot work so well in a more humid climate; I'd use the freezer in that case. I don't season the croutons until I use them - a bit of melted butter and herbs works well. I also use the croutons in bread pudding or stuffing, and these also are seasoned in the recipe. Over Thanksgiving my friend brought two fresh baguettes that her son, the baker, had made, but we had so much else to eat that a lot of bread was left over. I didn't want to go to the trouble of cutting them into cubes so I just sliced them, dried the slices, and they are in storage now. I will have them for dried crumbs in the future, or bread pudding with larger pieces of bread than usual, or I can soak them in a little milk to add to meatloaf or meatballs. Some years ago the "fancy thing" touted on all the TV food shows, and a "must have" for any trendy kitchen was Panko breadcrumbs. I object on principal to having to buy breadcrumbs, so I went looking to find out what made a breadcrumb "Panko". The substitution suggestion that I found was very simple - just make fluffy fresh crumbs, as above, and then dry them. You end up with larger crumbs, with "pointy" edges; this apparently is what it is all about, as they stay crisper or something. I did it once, and never bothered again - just decided that I am not a trendy cook ;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Tell me how you make your bread crumbs and do you flavor them and how long can you store them etc.?

Or do you just store buy bread crumbs?
Neither. If I'm making meatloaf (the only thing I would use them in), I just sub in ground flax, oats, oat bran, wheat bran or anything similar.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As others have said- I bake my own bread and keep the heels and any odd shaped pieces in a bag in the freezer. When I need bread crumbs- I thaw and run through the food processor. Works great. I just used a whole bunch of that frozen bread for Thanksgiving stuffing- so I need to start a new collection.