bread making

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to make my own bread sometimes. I have noticed that the most expensive ingredient is the yeast, second the flour. So a little over a year ago, I googled yeast making and learned a few ways to make my own cultures. They were all smelly, but one that involved a little sugar and potatoe water in a crock under the sink worked well for me, but seemed a little strange to some of the family and it could easily be killed if forgotten too long. Plus the flavor it gave the bread was okay, but very different from what I had formally made with store bought yeast and reminded me of bread I had probably eaten as a very small child.
I am not sorry for this knowledge, because, really we never know when we might have to rough it, but based on this knowledge, I learned to stretch my store bought yeast, almost indefinately.
I start a double batch of bread with 2 yeast packs and when I form my rolls, I retain one handful of dough. I bake my bread and then start tomorrows dough. I mix everything, but the yeast and in its place I insert the first dough. That is my leaven.
If you make bread often, this can save you a bundle after a while.
I started baking 3 days ago. I still have bread that needs to be eaten, so I wasn't sure about baking another batch of rolls or a loaf, so today I decided on making cinnamon rolls, before starting tomorrow's dough, which is brewing.
You do need to start a long time in advance, because it will take much longer than the 3 hours you are used to, if you are in the habbit of making bread with store bought yeast.
I do buy my grain for my animals from a man near the river, so my next step is to order a hand crank mill.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Great job! It is similar to the sourdough method, but with a shortcut.

There is nothing like freshly ground flour. Nothing. It is wonderful!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well between learning about the cultures and being introduced to friendship bread, plus loving homemade bread; I put all these things together in my mind and yeast stretching was born in my house. I'm sure a lot of you do this, but no one I know does, so I figured I'd share it.
I know some of the threads on here have taught me a thing or two.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeast for bread is cheap if you buy it in the several pound packages instead of those silly little packets. I think I get three pounds of Red Star yeast for about $4 at Costco and our local grocery has it for about $6. It takes a long time to go through three pounds of yeast and I bake at least once if not twice a week. It stays fresh in the refrigerator, though. Also in the refrigerator is some sour dough starter, so if we ever do run out of yeast, there will still be bread and I make sour dough occasionally just for the different flavor. Once I caught "wild" yeast with a pineapple juice starter and it was okay but I liked the flavor of the sourdough better so I didn't keep a culture of the pineapple starter.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got 2 lbs of yeast for around $5 at my little country store. I just keep it in the freezer.

I have friendship bread on the counter most of the winter. You don't have to add a cup of everything every three days, just enough to keep it going. I have used as little as 1 T sugar in my batch one time, and it was fine. None of my buddies want a start of it anymore, so this keeps it down to a managable level.

I did my own sour dough starter one time. I seem to remember that it was rather 'strong'. Everyone complained about it, no one would eat the bread as they thought I was trying to poison them. :lol: (If I was really trying to, I would have succeeded, dear.. you never mess with the one who's preparing your food.)

I have the greatest oatmeal bread recipe that you put back old dough for the next time you bake. I never gave it a thought that I wouldn't have to use yeast in it. Great info.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sam's club also has bulk yeast....2 (1 lb) packages for a little under $5.00

I keep a sourdough starter as well. And if you try some of the Artisan or No Knead bread recipes, most only call for 1/4 or 1/2 tsp yeast. They require a little planning though as most have a 12 - 18 hours rising time.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I get yeast at the local Amish market. It costs $3.95/lb.