Bread Recipes Please

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
This is my favorite whole-wheat bread recipe.

7 1/2 C whole-wheat flour
1/3 C oil
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp yeast
1/3 C honey
2 greased loaf pans

In a small bowl mix the yeast with 1/4 C warm water. Sprinkle a bit
of flour on the top and cover with a paper towel to bloom. In a
large bowl, mix 2 1/2 C hot water and 3 1/4 C flour. Add oil, honey,
1/2 C flour, salt and mix. Add yeast mixture and 2- 2 1/2 C flour
and mix until it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn onto a
floured surface and knead for 10mins. I find that the dough tends to
be fairly sticky and I have to add quite a bit more flour as I am
kneading. Divide into loaf pans and let rise until doubled in size.
Bake for 35-40 mins in a 350* oven. Turn out immediately onto a
cooling rack.
I made this bread yesterday. It was great. My son and I loved it. My husband even said it was good and he doesn't eat wheat bread. Thank you.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You are welcome! ;) :D We love it so much that its the only recipe for bread that I use!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
seabrightmom

my hubby is switching over to honey wheat bread for more fiber.....so I will be making this. thanks so much for saying your DH liked it too..LOL

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick,

I am starting to think my husband is hopeless in the food area. The same day I made this healthy bread my husband decided to go to the store and brought back four bags of junk. I wasn't too happy. I try to bring only healthy food into the house. In one day it went out the window. I hate for him to go to the store. OH WELL!

Does anyone have a good recipe for whole wheat dinner rolls? I would love to make them for dinner today. I would like a recipe that doesn't need a bread machine.Thanks

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My mom gave me this new yeast for WW breads. It comes in those little envelopes. I haven't tried it yet, but it's probably just a gimmick.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh Sebright
I so hear you on the hubby to shop!
I asked Tony to stop at the dollar store and pick up a pack of Play Doh for Nicole (teacher said they all needed a pack for pre-school)

Hmm...santa lollipops, some fudge things, Hersey Kiss with cherry something, and big box of Honey Buns.

Kill me.

I know. Never ask them to shop..HA HA HA...but I guess as long as we bring in the good stuff, a little trash don't hurt every now and then. Heck, they can eat it....not me..LOL

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here's a nice oatmeal bread that we like. In fact, made it today.

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread (makes 2 loaves)

1 cup oats, old fashioned
2 cups boiling water
2 Tab. yeast
1/2 cup warm water (115 degrees)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 - 4 cups all purpose flour

glaze:
1 egg, beaten
1 Tab. cold water

In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add oats, stir, cover and let set until it's lukewarm.

In a large bowl; dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Let set 5 min. Add lukewarm oats, oil, honey, salt, whole wheat flour and 2 cups flour. Beat for 2 minutes. Add flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough begins to form a ball, pulling away from side of bowl.

Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Use lard to grease a large glass bowl. Place kneaded dough into bowl, turning to coat entire surface with lard. Cover with a cotton towel and let rise in warm place until double - about 1 hour.

Punch dough down, cut in half, and shape each half into a loaf. Place into greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until double - about 45 minutes.

To make glaze, beat egg and add water. Beat well. Brush each loaf with glaze and sprinkle with about 1 Tab. oats.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
When done, remove from pans and cool.

***I use a kitchen aid mixer to mix and knead dough.
I use lard to grease bowl and non-stick spray to grease loaf pans.
I test bread for doneness using a thermometer. Bread should be 190 degrees.
Can't wait for bread to cool, so cut and eat right away.

teresainNC

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
First time post for new member here! Hi y'all! I love oatmeal bread so I will try your recipe soon, prairiegirl!

This grainy, nutty bread from King Arthur flour is very good, I've made it twice now and used half chopped pumpkin seeds for half of the amount of sunflower seeds, just because I had them in the freezer. I also subbed one Tb of millet seed for one of the TBs of sesame seeds. Makes one regular loaf or 3 mini loaves for gifts.

Multi-Grain Sunflower Bread

Crunchy and nutty from the seeds and grains, this bread makes a great sandwich, and super toast.

1 cup water
2 cups King Arthur Bread Flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey or brown sugar
1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup rolled oats (uncooked oatmeal)
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 1 tablespoon water OR 2 teaspoons instant yeast

Mixing: In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. (You may also knead this dough in an electric mixer or food processor, or in a bread machine set to the dough or manual cycle). Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow the dough to rise till puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the warmth of your kitchen.

Shaping: Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and shape it into an 8-inch log. Place the log in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the bread to rise for about 45 to 60 minutes, until its crowned about 1 inch above the edge of the pan. A finger pressed into the dough should leave a mark that rebounds slowly.

Baking: Bake the bread in a preheated 350F oven for about 35 minutes, until its light golden brown. Test it for doneness by removing it from the pan and thumping it on the bottom (it should sound hollow), or by measuring its interior temperature with an instant-read thermometer (it should register 190F at the center of the loaf). Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a wire rack before slicing. Store the bread in a plastic bag at room temperature. Yield: 1 loaf.

teresainNC

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
prairiegirl, I just took your Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread out of the oven - forget about waiting for it to cool - it is delicious! Thanks for the recipe! I know I will be making this often.

Teresa

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Teresa, I'm glad you like it. I plan to bake some tomorrow.

And, thank you for sharing your recipe. Seems we are liking heartier breads these days and I think we'll like the sunflower seeds.