Bread Recipes Please

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been making the Mother Earth News bread and it has been really good. I also made the cinnamon rolls...be very careful...They are so good. I made two loaves of bread one day and only have one pizza peel. On the other one I turned a tin plate upside down and sprinkled the cornmeal on that. It slid off fine. I keep forgetting to pick up honey to make the whole wheat bread. :clap

Sherrynboo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Cackle, I got my pizza peel included with my baking stone at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I think it was around $15. good info on the fats! another book i need to add to my library! I made another round of bread using some freshly ground flour and it came out dry and crumbly. I still have some in the fridge so I may try another loaf tomorrow.

Sherry in Ga

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
prairiegirl said:
Here's a nice oatmeal bread that we like. In fact, made it today.

Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread (makes 2 loaves)

1 cup oats, old fashioned
2 cups boiling water
2 Tab. yeast
1/2 cup warm water (115 degrees)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 - 4 cups all purpose flour

glaze:
1 egg, beaten
1 Tab. cold water

In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil; add oats, stir, cover and let set until it's lukewarm.

In a large bowl; dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Let set 5 min. Add lukewarm oats, oil, honey, salt, whole wheat flour and 2 cups flour. Beat for 2 minutes. Add flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough begins to form a ball, pulling away from side of bowl.

Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic. Use lard to grease a large glass bowl. Place kneaded dough into bowl, turning to coat entire surface with lard. Cover with a cotton towel and let rise in warm place until double - about 1 hour.

Punch dough down, cut in half, and shape each half into a loaf. Place into greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until double - about 45 minutes.

To make glaze, beat egg and add water. Beat well. Brush each loaf with glaze and sprinkle with about 1 Tab. oats.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes.
When done, remove from pans and cool.

***I use a kitchen aid mixer to mix and knead dough.
I use lard to grease bowl and non-stick spray to grease loaf pans.
I test bread for doneness using a thermometer. Bread should be 190 degrees.
Can't wait for bread to cool, so cut and eat right away.
Prairiegirl, I've made this recipe twice now and it's a hit! The first time I followed the recipe exactly and my husband was crazy over it! The second time I cut the amount of honey if half and used 2 cups of whole wheat flour instead of 1 1/2, and also skipped the glaze and it came out totally differently but so good! It had a great texture and nice crackly crust. I didn't use lard either time either because I'm a vegetarian, but just used a bit of canola oil. Thank you for the recipe!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
prairiegirl,

I have also made the oatmeal bread. It is very good. Hopefully, I will get to make more tomorrow.
Thanks

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you like a very hearty bread, you can make a 7 or 12 grain bread by replacing the oatmeal in any oatmeal bread recipe with a whole-grain 7 or 12 grain cereal, the kind you have to cook for 20 min. Just follow the directions to make the cereal, let it cool, and procede as for the oatmeal bread. You may have to add a little more water, as the multi-whole-grain cereal tends to absorb most of it. A moister bread is made by still using a bit of oatmeal, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 the total cereal.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
annmarie and Sebrightmom, I'm glad you tried the oatmeal bread and liked it. I also play around with the amount of whole wheat flour and honey - just depends on my mood.

I had planned to bake some oatmeal bread today, but decided to make carmel corn instead. It's in the oven now. YUM!
The bread will be tomorrow's project.

teresainNC

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Today I'm making prairiegirl's Oatmeal Bread again, but this time I'm using 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill 10 grain cereal and 1/2 cup rolled oats. I plan to use 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup molasses instead of all honey. The grain cereal makes for a more crunchy bread - especially when toasted and I'm all about the crunch. I put the grain in a bowl along with the oatmeal and poured the boiling water over it, then let it sit until lukewarm. The oats and grain cereal plump up and soften just as they do when you cook them.

I'll post my results. Bob's Red Mill makes several multi-grain cereals.

teresainNC

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My bread turned out just great! Can't wait to try it for toast tomorrow morning. Maybe
the next baking I will try half white and half whole wheat flour and see how I like that.
Thank you again, prairiegirl, for this tasty and versatile recipe.

Teresa