Bread

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
"bread" flour is higher-gluten flour than all-purpose... which is why I tend to just keep some gluten around and add some to the bread to achieve similar effects, and then I don't have to have 2 different kinds of flour around. But it's definitely a no-fuss way to do things, and easier to measure properly, and all that. Let us know how it goes!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bread flour or unbleached all purpose flour is a must when making bread. I actually have two buckets of flour because cookies come out much better when you use bleached flour.

Bleached all purpose flour just doesn't work for bread, even if you add wheat gluten.

Don't worry Farmer Chick, my first loaves of bread were tooth-breakers. They have gotten much better with practice. Not to say I don't make the occasional mistake, but that's a whole new thread :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Don't most recipes have a prescribed amount of water that you use initially and then no more?
I find that I have to adjust either the am't of water (if using a bread machine to knead) or the am't of flour (back when I used to knead by hand) according to the humidity/season. It is not a big adjustment but if you use only-and-exactly what the recipe calls for, my experience is that sometimes the dough comes out wetter and sometimes drier, depending on how much humidity was in your flour in the first place. Honest.

Doesn't this happen to anyone else? :p

Pat

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
While reading this thread, I was munching on a couple of toasted homemade slices of bread, with homemade applebutter....mine was heavy, mainly because I didn't let it rise for the full hour the second time. But I have noticed that past loaves were kinda heavy, and was wondering what to do. So, I think I'll invest in bread flour, and try that.

Great thread, FC!! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ya know pioneergirl I did rush the second rising actually....only gave it like 40 mins. and cut off about 20 mins or so....Hmmm...I guess that did contribute. No patience--LOL

yea bread flour for me on the next batch. Will use this other flour for cookies or something. It will be used.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
yep, only did 45 for mine....I think you're right, just use the other flour for other things! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
You guys let yours raise for an hour??? :th I guess I never really timed it, but its not an hour, thats for sure! Funny how everyone makes bread differently. I don't even let mine rise a second time, unless I'm making loaves. When I make flatbread I just pop it in the oven and it rises in there!

I've always had success just using all-purpose flour when bread making and so has my mother. I've used the flour "For Bread" before and no difference. Now, of course, I'm grinding my own and its great, but I never had any problems with the quality of bread with the APF and never added gluten.

Pat, since I don't use a bread machine, I wouldn't know about all that adding water later thingy. :) I just add my flour one cup at a time, knead that in, repeat until the dough is the right consistency. Guess its easier, if one is making it by hand, to get the correct consistency. :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I've always had success just using all-purpose flour when bread making and so has my mother. I've used the flour "For Bread" before and no difference.
Me too, both for bread machine loaves and for hand kneaded.

I will say though that there is a real difference between flour sold in Canada - higher protein, I think? - and American flours. Man did this mess me up for a good long while when I moved up here. I have had to adapt recipes. Who'da thunk it.

Pat, since I don't use a bread machine, I wouldn't know about all that adding water later thingy. :) I just add my flour one cup at a time, knead that in, repeat until the dough is the right consistency. Guess its easier, if one is making it by hand, to get the correct consistency. :)
Ah, so there you go, you *are* compensating the flour-to-water-ratio for humidity, you are just doing it by eye (which is the best way to cook anyhow, if you ask me :)) so it just sort of happens automatically :)

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Beekissed said:
Don't most recipes have a prescribed amount of water that you use initially and then no more?
I find that I have to adjust either the am't of water (if using a bread machine to knead) or the am't of flour (back when I used to knead by hand) according to the humidity/season. It is not a big adjustment but if you use only-and-exactly what the recipe calls for, my experience is that sometimes the dough comes out wetter and sometimes drier, depending on how much humidity was in your flour in the first place. Honest.

Doesn't this happen to anyone else? :p

Pat
Yes, I only use the bread machine, and do have to keep an eye on the consisitency of the dough. If it is humid out etc, I have to compensate. Oh yeah, and I only use whole wheat flour--no extra gluten no bread flour etc. My loaves seem to always come out all right, bearing in mind that I might have to adjust the water/flour.