Breads/Biscut making, advice, help, recipes. Pics pg 3

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Did some one say gravy cook off??? :gig

Girls I am there!! :plbb :bun

I will never forget the day Sgt. Hooker taught me how to make gravy before he left our unit. I don't like army bacon, but every morning, while in garrison (on the base) I had two fried eggs, biscuts and Sgt. Hookers homemade gravy, topped with hot sauce of course, fried potatoes again covered in his gravy.

In the field, they would do air drops using food cans called (sp) Marimite cans. Often there would be a canteen filled with gravy attached to one with my name on it, I paid him to do it for me, but then he continued to do it for free. I could get two meals a day out of that canteen, which I returned so it could go back to garrison with the cans.

I don't know much about him, as we were just mess hall buddies. I do know he was from small town in Mississippi and was raised by his granny. I imagen when he left the army he might have become a chef.

ETA: His gravy was better than my moms, sorry mom..... :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, you don't want to "gravy cook-off" with me....I was taught by the best of the best.....my mom! And sausage gravy by the best sausage gravy maker....combine the two, and you get....me! Yup, I'm braggin', but I don't care...:plbb

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
The gravy cook off will be at my house. Check out where I live on Noobiechickenlady's new map. Bring homemade biscuits too. :drool After the cook off there will be a barn raising. ;)

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
36_2_21.gif

Me consider a cook off with free?

You win.... :bow

barn raising, I'm game to help... :clap

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Recipe? Does anyone else use a recipe? I usually just eyeball it and "feel" it. I guess I could make some and write down what I used but sometimes that changes. Sometimes, you feel like a nut (or more pepper); sometimes, you don't.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I love biscuits and gravy...but I have only made it once and the gravy was TERRIBLE!:sick
So any guidance would be appreciated!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Personally, I think the key is getting the rue (sp?; the part where you add the flour to the grease) just right. Hubby initially described it to me as needing to be of toothpaste consistency.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
See I was correct in double tracking back on my gravy cook off with free. Hooker taught me that fat and browning flower with pepper and garlic powder is the key to any savory rustic gravy. I don't brown the flour as much for my milk gravy.

Recipe though? Nope, I just do what AB does, taste my way through.