Breast Cancer and Vitamin D

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So how do you know if you are getting enough, other than a blood test? (I don't have time to read much right now, if it happens to be in the links) I have took D3 over the winter, could tell no difference. Of course, it was only 1,000 IU a couple times a day.
I can tell when I need magnesium, and I supplement with transdermal mag oil a few times a week. I feel sluggish and run down when I am low on it. Magnesium oil is amazing!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If your depletion of D 3 is severe you will just feel more alive when you get your levels up. If your depletion is not severe you may not feel any difference but your body will be working better to prevent chronic disease like cancer. You will also be less likely to get colds and flu and if you do you should get through them easier, at least that is what they say.

When my Vit D3 levels were 130 last year I did get two colds! and that was after not having any colds for a long time...so it made me wonder. But some naturopathic doctors say you have to have a good state of health to get a cold, to mount the defense...and people should get colds periodically...as it will exercise their immune system.

Just think of all the people you have known who never had a sick day then got cancer... well I can think of quite a few anyway...I hear it all the time in my work.

My doctor says that she is finding that all her patients need at least 5,000 IU a day. She is now preferring to keep people around 60 to 80 in their readings...which makes more sense to me cause many many people out there have cancer and they don't know it yet...and may not for some years. I am personally aiming for 90.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
One way to tell if you are d deficient is if you go out in the sun and you burn to a crisp in 5 minutes like I used to :p

It is sure nice no longer being mistaken for Casper the Friendly Ghost's stunt double :gig

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could also be Casper's double, but I do not burn easily. It seriously takes me much longer to burn than most other people. I was out all weekend in the sun and not a hint of burn. I get pink from the heat and it goes away as soon as I cool down. My skin doesn't tan either. I'm a freak!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
All that fresh air and sunshine is good for you. I always knew it.
Since I got layed off from my office job three years ago and get to work outside all the time, I have been sooo healthy. I used to get colds every other month. Now I get one a year. I also have a lot more energy and desire to do stuff. And that is even though I have tons of allergies.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
The tie between vitamin D, cold and flu has been written about a lot lately. The better your vitamin D status, the harder it is for the cooties to get you.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
When we were kids, my mom used to take us swimming when we were about to get a cold. We walked there and walked back. It was a twenty minute walk. Fresh air and exercise was the cure all in our family and good food.
We went for walks on a regular basis, expecially after dinner. Days off were meant for taking walks. Cranky babies were taken for a walk in the stroller. Children went outside to play, sunshine and fresh air put apples on their cheeks.
Great grandmother was taken for walks too. Even if she couldn't walk. Someone would pull her in a wagon or on a sled. Put a smile on her face and apples on her cheeks too.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Why 10 minutes of sun isn't enough.....

"Where Did The Mistaken Belief That 5 To 10 Minutes Of Sunlight Exposure To The Hands And Face Is Sufficient To Stimulate Optimal Blood Levels Of Vitamin D Originate?

After several weeks of researching our library of scientific articles, we found three mistakes that led to the erroneous belief that only 5 to 10 minutes of sunlight exposure to the face and hands two or three times a week was sufficient to attain and maintain an adequate blood level of vitamin D.

Mistake 1. Although it should have been obvious, it was overlooked that sunlight cannot irradiate both sides of the body at the same time. For example, a 360-degree HID/high-pressure sunbed irradiates the entire surface of the body while a 180- degree mattress HID/high-pressure unit requires the client turn over halfway through the session in order to irradiate both sides of the body. While it may only take 8 to 10 minutes of whole-body exposure in a 360-degree HID/high-pressure unit to stimulate the minimal required dose of vitamin D-effective photons, it would take 16 to 20 minutes for a 180-degree mattress HID/high-pressure unit to deliver the same dose. The same thing is true for sunlight. Therefore, somewhere along the line it was overlooked that sunlight only irradiates one side of the body at a time and takes twice as long for sunlight (or a mattress HID/high-pressure unit) to stimulate the same dose of vitamin D-effective photons that it would take a 360-degree HID/high-pressure unit to stimulate.

Mistake 2. A paper by Matsuoka, et al, titled In Vivo Threshold For Cutaneous Synthesis Of Vitamin D3 defined the minimal dose of whole-body UVR exposure that was required to stimulate the cutaneous production of vitamin D. However, the irradiance source used in this study was the FS Series sunlamp in a 360-degree vertical booth that had 60 percent UVB and takes only 1.8 minutes (0.9 minutes per side) to emit the minimal required dose (21 mJ/cm^2) of vitamin D-effective photons. Sunlight, at noon on a typical Midwestern summer day, has virtually no energy below 300 nanometers and only 5.1 percent UVB and takes 22.4 minutes (11.2 minutes per side) of whole-body exposure and 52 minutes (26 minutes per side) of face and hand exposure to emit the same minimal dose of vitamin D-effective photons. So, it takes 12.3 times longer for whole-body sunlight exposure and 29.7 times longer for face and hand exposure to stimulate the same minimal required dose of vitamin D-effective photon than it did for the FS Series sunlamps.

Mistake 3. Although the dermatology community usually mentions that it takes longer for people with darker skin types to stimulate the same amount of vitamin D, the time required is rarely mentioned. The graph on the following page shows this important relationship it takes an average North American citizen 32.9 minutes (per side) of whole-body exposure and 76.9 minutes (per side) of face and hand exposure to sunlight on a typical Midwestern summer day to deliver the minimal required dose of vitamin D-effective photons.
The bottom line is that for a skin subtype 2A, it takes 22.4 minutes (11.2 minutes per side) of whole-body exposure or 52 minutes (26 minutes per side) of face and hand exposurenot 5 to 10 minutes of face and hand exposure to sunlight on a typical Midwestern summer day to stimulate the minimal required dose of vitamin D-effective photons. Therefore, 5 to10 minutes of face and hand exposure can be seen to be woefully inadequate for a skin subtype 2A, and it takes much longer for darker skin types/subtypes."
http://www.lookingfit.com/articles/671science.html

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Geesh! I'd be fried to a crisp! And whole body sun exposure?
Maybe back in my 20's....but these days I like those turn of the century
bathing suits with the bloomers!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I am very fair skinned and I used to fry in 5 minutes or less. Not anymore. I started supplementing last winter. When summer came around I was amazed I no longer burned. I do lay out when I can, and I wear a bikini...sometimes :D

I have a tall privacy fence. At 45, I am not going out in PUBLIC wearing that bikini, but the ducks haven't complained yet

:gig