Breast Cancer and Vitamin D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have been spreading the word about vitamin D for months. My friend's think I am crazy :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'm out in the sun most of the day. So I am sure I get enough. Trying to balance sunblock for preventing skin cancer and getting enough sunlight for getting enough vitamin D. I figure, I put the sunblock on in the morning, usually come inside in the middle of the day and go back out in the afternoon without sunblock.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Sunblock or sunscreen? Sunblock can be helpful to prevent burning, but SUNSCREEN can actually INCREASE skin cancer.

"Worldwide, the greatest rise in melanoma has been experienced in countries where chemical sunscreens have been heavily promoted The rise in melanoma has been exceptionally high in Queensland, Australia where the medical establishment has vigorously promoted the use of sunscreens. Queensland now has more incidences of melanoma per capita than any other place on Earth1.

Dr. Gordon Ainsleigh in California believes that the use of sunscreens causes more cancer deaths than it prevents. He estimates that the 17% increase in breast cancer observed between 1981 and 1992 may be the result of the pervasive use of sunscreens over the past decade2. Recent studies have also shown a higher rate of melanoma among men who regularly use sunscreens and a higher rate of basal cell carcinoma among women using sunscreens3"
http://reverseskinaging.com/toxicsunscreens3.html

Here is a lecture by Edward Gorham, PhD where he discusses this issue...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeXt...l&client=firefox-a&um&feature=player_embedded

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another great informative video that gives new information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GM0CnO6-ds

This is a great source of vitamin D and they sell some very high
powered ones... 50,000 IU if you should ever need to really hit a conditon hard with vitamin D. I have used these high powered ones
several times and have had good results. At 2 a day for one week you can move your vitamin D level up to about 130, which is probably where you need to be if you have cancer or a chronic severe condition. After a week back down t 5,000 a day.

https://secure.bio-tech-pharm.com/catalog.aspx?cat_id=2

I also want to emphasize that if you are in the sun a lot you still may not be getting enough vitamin D. It depends on you age and the quality and the type of skin you have so do consider this.

If you are darkly tanned you are at a disadvantage. If you are black you are doubly at risk. The only way to know is to have your levels checked during your peak sun exposure time of year. Then again when you are hunkered down in the the winter.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Please note what the second video says about more cancer being detected in the winter than the summer.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Mackay said:
This is a great source of vitamin D and they sell some very high
powered ones... 50,000 IU if you should ever need to really hit a conditon hard with vitamin D. I have used these high powered ones
several times and have had good results. At 2 a day for one week you can move your vitamin D level up to about 130, which is probably where you need to be if you have cancer or a chronic severe condition. After a week back down t 5,000 a day.
Most people are under the impression that they can't go over the low government recommended dose of vitamin D.
From our experience, doctor prescribed 50,000 IU once a day for 2 weeks, then one 50,000 IU per week after for 16 weeks for my DH while waiting for triple organ transplants. That was severely depleted.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
"Understanding The Anticancer Effects Of Vitamin D3

ScienceDaily (July 7, 2009) The active form of vitamin D3 seems to have anticancer effects. To try and understand the mechanisms underlying these effects, researchers previously set out to identify genes whose expression in a human colon cancer cell line was altered by the active form of vitamin D3.

One gene identified in this previous study was CST5, which is responsible for making the protein cystatin D. Now, a team of researchers, at the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientficas-Universidad Autnoma de Madrid, Spain, and the Universidad de Oviedo, Spain, has studied this protein in detail and determined that it has tumor suppressor activity that likely accounts for some of the anticancer effects of the active form of vitamin D3.

The team, led by Alberto Muoz and Carlos Lpez-Otn, initially established that the active form of vitamin D3 directly activates the CST5 gene in human colon cancer cell lines, increasing levels of cystatin D protein. Functionally, cystatin D was shown to inhibit the growth of human colon cancer cells lines in vitro and when they were xenotransplanted into mice. As knocking down expression of cystatin D in human colon cancer cell lines rendered them unresponsive to the antiproliferative effects of the active form of vitamin D3, the authors conclude that CST5 is a candidate tumor suppressor gene and that it mediates a large proportion of the anticancer effects of the active form of vitamin D3. These data provide rationale for clinical trials examining the preventive and therapeutic potential of the active form of vitamin D3 in colon cancer."
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/07/090706171500.htm

As for vitamin D toxicity...
"Because synthesis of 1,25(OH)2D (the most active metabolite of vitamin D) is tightly regulated, vitamin D toxicity usually occurs only if excessive doses (prescription or megavitamin) are taken. Vitamin D 1000 μg (40,000 IU)/day produces toxicity within 1 to 4 mo in infants. In adults, taking 1250 μg (50,000 IU)/day for several months can produce toxicity. "
http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec01/ch004/ch004k.html#sec01-ch004-ch004l-459

So doctors freaking out if you take more than 400 IU is silly. The average female uses 4000 IU/day. If you are male, older or overweight, you need even more. If you aren't spending time outside in the sun without sunscreen, or if you do not supplement, there is no way in the world you are getting enough D3 from your food.