Breastfeeding

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hope this isn't out of depth for this forum, but figure with breastfeeding being a natural and pretty SS thing it won't be??

Just wondering what the average age babies are fed for over in the USA also do you have any laws about feeding? I know England has some weird ones :/.

Australia is a very, very pro breastfeeding Country but, yeah still a bit behind in getting people to feed over 12 months to 2 years.

Wondering what the general attitute is over there?

I am very pro-feeding (can you tell) :D I am possbily a bit too new to share exactly how long Iv fed all 3 kids :/. But I am however very proud of my feeding achievements.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I nursed mine until they were just over a year, my idea is that babies are usually off the bottle at about a year, and on to a sippy cup so nursing is about the same. I think a year or year and a half is average here. I don't think there are any actual laws here, but it is usually done very discretely here in Canada.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well done that is a fantastic effort!!

Some are discret some not here. It is actually against the law to discriminate in any way if someone is breastfeeding anywhere a child can be a Mum can be feeding. Which is a big step forward. Except in Western Australia, they are a little behind over there ;).

We have a terrible rate in the town I am in very few feed over 3-6 months, not sure why though.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I breastfeed all three of mine and I don't plan on anymore (please God) but would breastfeed again. I nursed ds to 14 months, dd1 12 months and dd2 10 months. Nursing dd2 was extremely difficult because of her disorder sucking is extremely hard for her. I refused to give up though and we made it through, sometimes starting again about an hour after we had just finished for many many months. She was/is well worth the effort! :)

I let mine weaned themselves but did give them sippy cups starting around 6 months and then just let me nurse less and less until they were done.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Well it was 12 years ago, but I think we made it up to 12 months. She tapered herself off. I was heartbroken, "wasn't I good enough?" Crazy breastfeeding emotions! :barnie It was like a break up!

sweetcorn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I breastfed 5 babies to between a 1 year and 18 months except for baby number 2, who got cut off at 8 months because he was a viscious biter and drew blood a few times! :he Soooooooo much cheaper and healthier for the babe. Easier for the mum too !

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I breast fed all 3 of my rug rats. All till about 18 months. I had a great milk supply and had no problem doing it where ever it needed to be done. My children went from breast to sippy cup with no bottles involved. So many benefits for the little one.

I think some people who are very modest have problems nursing in public. I was not one of them. I have no idea if there are any rules about it.

BBH do you mean you were thin from breastfeeding? I hear that all the time but I had a voracious hunger while breast feeding. Kinda like Bee's cow. :gig

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Ummmm....no kids here, but I plan on letting Mya and Ginger nurse their kids for 2 months, more for doelings I will keep! Does that count? :D

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Ummmm....no kids here, but I plan on letting Mya and Ginger nurse their kids for 2 months, more for doelings I will keep! Does that count? :D
Yes, I don't see why not :).

Well I will fess up as you all can go euwwww in the background.

My first child I feed until 2 years, he really was over it by then so was I, the second fed until 19 months, he was actually a terrible feeder we had many problems with it, number 3 turned 4 yesterday he is still feeding twice a day. :thumbsup I let them self wean but envision he will be weaned before kinder next year.

He is the healthiest kid, I came down with pneunomia a few months ago and he was brought into hospital twice a day to feed(I was there for 4 days) and he never caught it hopefully because of the immunity from my milk.

He is a very confident happy kid, I would have loved another boy possibly why I am feeding so long partly for me but it's not to be so after this it will be the end of my breastfeeding, but I think 7.6 years overall isn't bad!