Breastfeeding

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have two children, the first was in the NICU for 1wk and I was young. So I decided to pump for 12wks, while supplementing w/formula. I tried to bf while in the NICU, but he was ill and the nurses had me all freaked out that he would be put on a feeding tube if I didn't bottle feed him.

Lesson learned with him. I pretty much pushed all the nurses out of my room when I had my dd. I read, talked, etc to everyone I could about bf. She nursed wonderfully, a little too wonderfully, she was attached to my boob as her pacifier! I bf her 10 months, I was working fulltime and my supply dwindled, as my pump was a cheapie.

My ds had TONS of ear infections, my dd has had 2 and she's almost 3yrs. I know for a fact that bf is a factor in that. I bf my dd everywhere. At first, I was a little modest, but I got the blanket thing down and figured if anyone got a boob shot well, whatever, they're boobs and I'm feeding my child, so kiss it ;)

I have to mention that I live in a suburban/urban area of Indy. I am the only one out of ALL of my friends who bf for over 1 month. Everyone uses formula around here, I'm not sure why? Free/nutrious food for my infant, specially formulated for her/him...why wouldnt I?

Yay to all you ladies who bf :clap

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
My ds had TONS of ear infections, my dd has had 2 and she's almost 3yrs. I know for a fact that bf is a factor in that. I bf my dd everywhere. At first, I was a little modest, but I got the blanket thing down and figured if anyone got a boob shot well, whatever, they're boobs and I'm feeding my child, so kiss it ;)
Love it!

Beekissed I had a read, I am on a breastfeeding forum and have seen it all before most of the ladies I know will use breastmilk for conjunctavitis and cuts and if they have suplus left over would using in cooking for their LO's but this would be the rarity as it's not all that easy to express such large amounts, not for me anyway.

I find it amausing that people are grossed by it if they had any idea of the benifits of BM compared to cows milk they would maybe understand why some people are not adverse to it.

Having said that I don't express and feed to the family but will continue to feed my 4 year old not expressing though he breastfeeds.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
At what age do you gals normally wean off? I have a buddy whose wife still insists on BFing at 3 1/2 years. I once knew a fellow who BF until he was 5 or 6.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have used breastmilk to clear up baby acne and even, dare I say, my own when I was nursing. The antibacterial properties are quite remarkable. I've heard of recipes floating out there for breastmilk yogurt and ice cream. I'm not quite sure about that, though.

As for ear infections, my son had 2 or 3 when he was little but my daughter had not one. My son also has many allergies and asthma and it seems that my daughter only has mild allergies. I sincerely regret not having tried harder to produce for my son.

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
At what age do you gals normally wean off? I have a buddy whose wife still insists on BFing at 3 1/2 years. I once knew a fellow who BF until he was 5 or 6.
I still feed Kyan at 4 years. I fed the others until 2 years as WHO recommends.

Those that are going to feed generally keep it up until 12 months over here. many until 2 years, There are heaps on the BF forum that extend feed until over 4 years.

The benifits don't stop at a particular age.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My oldest was weaned at 18 months, purely because my cycles had not really returned and I *really* wanted to get pregnant again.

The second is now 2 1/4 yrs old and still on the boob once a day. I figure he can keep going as long as he likes or quit whenever he likes, however things work out is ok by me.

Good thread! :)

Pat

Lovechooks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good for you Pat, I can hepas of info of the health benifits, the association I belong to out here has heaps of interesting facts some pretty amazing like the longer you feed you lessen your chances of getting breast cancer and the longer your child feeds their risk of getting type 2 diabetes goes down as an adult, it's amazing to believe the benifits are lifelong even if they feed a year or so!