Breeding season 2010

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Believe me, it doesn't matter what the animal is. Breeding NEVER goes as planned. I had my problems with the alpacas this year. Now the goats were another story. My little man wasted no time in getting girls pregnant before I realized he was a busy little man and needed to get him out of the girls area. So if you look at my breeding schedule, there are A LOT of my girls bred to one buck. Then I had another buck who wasn't even interested in breeding until late November. Well, too late, everyone was bred so I never got to use him.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can get an injection from the vet that will cause her to miscarry, essentially, and it is quite safe in the early stages....Go ahead and do it, you don't need the stress and then the guilt if you let it go.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With hearing all the horror stories about Pygmies, I would probably abort. The vet would give you Lutalyse or Estrumate which is a hormone that will cause abortion. Your vet should know the dosage. I always have a bottle of Estrumate on hand but I know Estrumate is used more for alpacas than goats.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She is pretty good sized. Almost the same size as her momma! Dang animals!! Why cant they just listen to us!?? LOL I mean, we DO know better.....right?? LOL I have a place in the chicken coop, where we have electriuc, I can put her with a monitor. I can listen for any signs of trouble. Maybe I will just call the vet, see what he thinks. Thanks for the info!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Uh-Oh. Bad goats! Sounds like the job got done.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I KNEW there was a reason I don't want a buck!

Latest posts