Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally got most of the things on my list done! Here's a couple of pics of my rug Colowya. They aren't very good because I just don't take a lot of pics.

3802_rug_1.jpg
3802_rug_2.jpg

The colors are actually much richer than the pictures show. It was made about 150 years ago, wool and goat hair, all vegetable dyes. It's unusually large- about 10x12

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
my camera is a cell phone that amira spilled honeyed tea on. it's very blurry now.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi Rath! Got your coffee in hand? good... good...

This weekend I made some English Banger sausages, and last night we had Bangers and Mashed (potatoes) and my homemade sauerkraut- totally nom! Also made dijon mustard and dog food and dried peas, broccoli, and a huge bunch of scallions. I just finished loading 8 moving boxes full of the jars that I found in an estate sale into the car to take over to my GF's house- she has a dishwasher. I have 3 of the 5 bags of frozen tomatoes peeled and thawed and sitting in the fridge- I'll do the other 2 bags when I get home later and then I can heat them up and can sauce.

I have a lot more to do, but unfortunately washing the jars will take several hours because I know we won't be able to fit them all into the dishwasher at once. So I'll take along my door hanging and finish hemming it, and maybe my knitting-- I've finished one sock and have the second one to do now.

My indoor laundry lines are working beautifully- they take a bit longer to dry clothes than outside in the summer, but I can still do one load a day and have them dry by the following morning (except towels- they seem to need a full 24 hours). I've told DH that if I can manage to NOT use the dryer at all by next June, I want to sell it- that will give us a little cash and also more room in the utility room. Maybe I'll try handwashing after that, I don't know.

I moved a whole bunch of boxes of filled jars to the space under the bed- the bed lifters I made work great. It only lifted the bed about 2 inches, which was enough for quart jars to fit under there without making the bed too tall to get into and out of comfortably. I need to make a sort of map of what is under there so I don't forget about it.

I love fall, even though it's one of the short seasons. The smell of wet leaves, the crispness in the air, and of course the filled shelves in the pantry :D

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
sad news today, and I don't know how to change the title of my journal to reflect it.

Chloe, our Basset Hound passed away in the night.

On Friday, she didn't want to eat anything, though she was drinking a lot. But she didn't seem to have any other symptoms, so we figured she just had a tummy ache from eating deer poop or green apples or something; she was whining a little late in the evening, and I could tell she wasn't happy. I was planning to take her in to the vet this morning if she wasn't showing any improvement- but when we walked into the utility room we found her dead on her bed. It looks like she went peacefully in her sleep. I have absolutely no idea what she died of- it was so fast and yet she didn't show any signs of being in intense pain or anything- just that little bit of whining, and being off her food.
3802_puppycake.jpg

I don't really feel like talking about much else. See you tomorrow

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:( Oh Britesea, I'm so sorry for your loss. Big :hugs to you

Latest posts