Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think DH threw some under the house and something found it. We got that smell coming up into one section of the kitchen. Thank goodness it's fairly localized, and I hope it doesn't take too long to finish

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It feels like I've been studying non-stop for the last 4 days; I'll be taking my Ham Radio Technician Class exam tonight. I've been averaging 89-91% on the practice tests for the last two days (up from 57% when I started testing) so I'm feeling a little more confident now-- I only need a score of 71% to get my license. Wish me luck!

We had to cover the garden last night-- it got down to the mid-30's last night. We picked everything that was ripe or close to it, in case it got too cold for even the covers. I've got a milk crate full of cucumbers, another of bell peppers, several handfuls of serranos and tomatoes, and almost a shopping bag's worth of basil, and 2 more melons (only one big one left on the vine- I hope it is allowed to ripen- they are delicious!). I can stick the chilies in the freezer with very little prep, but the rest is going to take some prepping, and I don't know how much I'll get done before I have to leave for the test. It looks like we might get a slightly early frost this year- it already snowed yesterday at Lake Tahoe, not that far from us. I'm crossing my fingers that the apples and plums will make it before any hard frost. We haven't had much of a harvest from either of them the last few years.

I fixed a Porketta roast last night, and we still have a little over half of it left, so at least we can do leftovers and that's one thing off my list; just need to come up with some sides for it... probably some creamed kale and maybe a vinaigrette salad with tomatoes, garlic and basil?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Can I come to your house for supper? Share your creamed kale recipe?

My FIL and hubby's maternal grandfather were both ham operators. Wishing you the best on your test.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:weee I PASSED THE HAM TEST! (missed 4 out of 35 :hit)

Creamed Kale recipe for @Lazy Gardener Seriously, this is not a complicated recipe.
Bunch of kale (we usually go with about 1/2 a pound for 2 of us)
Cut the stems off and cut the leafy parts into small strips. You can cook the stems too, but they take longer so start cooking them first.
Cook up a bunch of bacon- 3 rashers minimum. When they are crispy, pull them out. Now add your your kale to the hot fat. If you are doing the stems too, cook them first for several minutes, until they start to get tender, then add the leaves. Add a glug or so of heavy cream and then turn the heat to low and simmer until the kale is tender and the cream has thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
congrats on passing!! :clap

The kale sounds really good. Like, pass the bowl please. :lol: Yeah, I could chow down on that. Uhhh, hope you crumbled the bacon on top.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:weee I PASSED THE HAM TEST! (missed 4 out of 35 :hit)

Creamed Kale recipe for @Lazy Gardener Seriously, this is not a complicated recipe.
Bunch of kale (we usually go with about 1/2 a pound for 2 of us)
Cut the stems off and cut the leafy parts into small strips. You can cook the stems too, but they take longer so start cooking them first.
Cook up a bunch of bacon- 3 rashers minimum. When they are crispy, pull them out. Now add your your kale to the hot fat. If you are doing the stems too, cook them first for several minutes, until they start to get tender, then add the leaves. Add a glug or so of heavy cream and then turn the heat to low and simmer until the kale is tender and the cream has thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

You're speaking to a northern girl here! Creamed anything is a rare event where I come from! Sounds super good, and super easy.... if not a bit super hard on the cholesterol levels! The benefits of kale have got to outweigh the bad of the fat, right??? I generally don't worry about the occasional "heart attack on a plate". Hubby just shrugs his shoulders, and says: "I gotta have something for the Statin drug to work on."

p.s. I also had to google search for "What is a rasher of bacon?"
I don't get out much!!!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oops. Yes, crumble the bacon on top. As far as cholesterol... since I've started eating like this, my cholesterol levels have plummeted. My doctor is talking about taking me off the statins if my blood tests continue to be this good (everything in the "ideal" levels)

Latest posts