Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Lazy Gardener The grey water line was in place when we bought the house, which is good because I don't think our county would let us put one in now. It drains along the fence line (empty land on the other side, so no issues with neighbors). It feeds a whole line of wild roses, which I harvest for hips and rose petal jelly sometimes. I've never tested the soil. I make my own laundry detergent out of Zote or Fels Naptha, boraxo, and washing soda. I haven't been able to come up with a dish detergent I like, so I use original Palmolive. I don't know if either of those detergents would put a lot of phosphates.
I'm thinking the backup right now has been caused by grease buildup. Keto uses lots of fat in cooking, and even though I try to drain it into fat cans and wipe out the pans, some is inevitably going to go down the drain.

So far, the turnips I grow have just been the small white purple tops, but I have seed for some yellow ones that I want to try.

Today is DS's 30th birthday. He wants to go to the local Ribs place for his birthday dinner. I've been thinking about what I could eat- maybe some ribs without the BBQ sauce, green salad, and some green beans with bacon?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you. I wonder if occasionally putting some baking yeast down your drains might "eat" the grease?

I also use FN home made laundry detergent. My biggest concern might be to overload the soil with boron. However, I guess it really wouldn't matter whether those chemicals passed through a leach field, or through a grey water drain, then into the soil. The elemental soil load would be the same. The fact that your roses are thriving says that things are pretty good. I still wonder what a soil test would show.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
but you CAN leave the alcohol out. It's not eggnog without some sort of dairy or dairy analog

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, back then getting a little drunk on Christmas morning wasn't viewed with horror, the way it is today. I remember my mother telling to give my baby a dropper of rum for teething or colic. Today, CPS would probably have taken my baby away if they found out.

Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.

i was having a reaction to some lilacs as a baby and Mom called up the doctor wondering what to do, he said throw me in the snow and she did, but it worked... i'm sure CPS would be on both Mom and doc if that happened these days.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would bet money that most of those CPS folks have never had children of their own... of if they did, they're like Gretta whatsername

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have pictures of my oldest sister in her baby seat sucking on a beer bottle. Mom kept an empty beer bottle in the freezer for her to chew on while teething. It was the right length to prop it upright in her seat so baby could hold onto it and chew to her hearts content.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Because of fear of CPS, many parents are scared to death to properly discipline their kids, especially in public settings. This, along with educators hands being tied, is contributing to multiple generations of kids AND ADULTS who have no respect for authority, and live by the "I'll do what ever I want, when ever I want, It's all about me, and me first!" rule.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My youngest son smuggled a skewer into his bedroom when he was about 4, to "fight the monsters". He managed somehow to poke his eye with it, and shattered the lens. I was terrified while driving him to the emergency room that someone would decide I must have done it because who would poke their own eye out? They would take him away from me! Luckily, the doctor told me this kind of thing happens A LOT, so he didn't suspect me of wrongdoing.