Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have used pasta that had weevils in it once - I had nothing else available to eat in the house and I didn't get paid for 3 days. I poured the pasta shells into a colander and picked the good pasta noodles out and put them in a plastic container. I rinsed the noodles before putting into boiling water to cook. Noodles and butter for breakfast for 3 days. College kids, what ya gonna do.
Nothing wrong with noodles, butter and salt. I still get a craving every once in a while to this day :)

Mini Horses

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In some countries they eat various bugs -- it is a good source of protein and often all they have or can get. Also rats. We shun the idea and, of course, prefer without. BUT -- it is in every hard survival manual you will ever read. I toasted a few grasshoppers in the fields I burned this morning -- didn't eat them. :rolleyes:

flowerbug

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
toasted grasshoppers are ok. i've had them. :) if i'm hungry enough here ever again i'd be sure to eat them, as they are around here and this time of the year they're big.

the bluebirds like to come around here and wrestle them in the gravel. sometimes they're half the size of the birds. :)

as for eating bugs in oatmeal or other, yep, i'm sure i've had a few, but rarely on purpose. as they say what's worse than finding a worm in an apple? finding half a worm! :) i've found the dry skins of meal worms in oat meal, but never seen the live version. at least i didn't feel it wriggling when chewing or going down the gullet...

flowerbug

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ground Cherries:
Ground Cherries, aka Husk Cherries, aka Cape Gooseberries. They are a relative of tomatillo, and are little yellow marble sized fruits in a papery husk that looks like a chinese lantern. Taste is like a cross of a really sweet tomato, and pineapple. They surprised us with how tasty they are, and the upside down cake turned out really good.
it sounds good to me! :) thanks, i kinda figured they were something like that as i recalled someone calling tomatillos by that name. i've not had them though but they sound like good eating.

Latest posts