Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're snug in the snow! I'd seriously do a lot of digging to get to your house and that good food you're cooking!!

And yes, good boots are worth their weight in gold in the middle of winter snows!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I've ordered some new boots- I needed SuperWide calves apparently. I will still repair the Ugg boots because 2 is 1 and 1 is none, right?

The weather climbed up into the low 30's yesterday and today, with snow overnight and again this afternoon. Things got just warm enough to melt some of the previous layer before freezing again, so we have that ground condition (snow over ice) beloved of travelers everywhere--- NOT. It's better than the -18F we had though. I had to do some work on the ramp for the ducks because they were sliding off and couldn't get into their house. It was funny to watch, though. I ended up packing some of the extra snow on either side of the ramp so they wouldn't just fall off, plus some on the ramp itself. If it gets warm again though, I'll have to think of something else.

I'm getting tired of DS housesitting, even though it's for my friend. I need him to come home and use those strong 20-something muscles and dig me some paths to the various outbuildings. I haven't been able to refresh the duck's litter ever since all that snow fell; I can't get to the shed where the shavings are stored. This is shaping up to be a winter as bad as the one in 1996- when so much snow fell that people couldn't throw it high enough to get it out of their driveways. I know we still aren't as bad off as people in like- North Dakota, but it's bad enough.

We finished our chores in town and came right home. Snuggled in now, with the pot of chili beans I made yesterday reheating on the stove. I will make cornbread for DH tonight, because he dearly loves it with beans. I'm debating on what to make for a dessert. Maybe baked apples tonight. I want a warm dessert.

Although I'm still working on DS's sweater, I finally started another project for when I get bored of knitting with camo yarn. Some fingerless gloves sounded like a good idea, and I had just enough yarn in an orphan skein of washable wool.

Does it sound like I'm ready for spring to come?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chili and cornbread.....sounds like a great supper to me!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Britesea I started knitting a pair of fingerless gloves but laid them down weeks ago but with the cold weather I need to finish them. I made several pairs last year because they are so nice to wear in the house when your hands are aching. Usually pretty quick to make with some scrap yarn. I hate I can't find a singe one now. My stuff just walks off around here. :rant

hqueen13

Reaction score
Glad you're snug and safe. We've had the same problem with where to put the snow here a couple years. It's bad when you just can't dig it enough. That's when the snow blower becomes essential, but sometimes that's almost not enough.
Mmmm chili with cornbread!! I need to make some cornbread!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't imagine snow more than a foot high. BIL tries to get us to move to Minnesota to be close to them but DANG, that's some cold. Arkansas closes down for a couple of inches. How would we survive real a WINTER!:eek:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It took me about 3 years to get used to it. Now mind, I didn't say I LIKED it... especially when my arthritis kicks up so bad it wakes me up in the middle of the night. On the other hand, I've never liked a lot of heat, especially humid heat.

We're trying to get along without the wood stove today because we have a stagnant air advisory today. The house is reasonably warm with the gas wall unit, but it just isn't as COZY as a wood fire.

hqueen13

Reaction score
How's your snow doing, @Britesea
We've only had rain... I'd gladly take snow over the mud pit that we are currently!