Britesea - Living the good life in rural Oregon

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never had ground cherries...waiting fo a report .

A ton of wheat???? Really? Can't figure that. Only thing I buy by the ton is hay or livestock feed. Hope she shares her thought on that ... So you can tell us. 😁

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Never had ground cherries...waiting fo a report .

A ton of wheat???? Really? Can't figure that. Only thing I buy by the ton is hay or livestock feed. Hope she shares her thought on that ... So you can tell us. 😁

i hope they have some kind of way to make sure any bugs are killed off in there? (CO2 or some dessicants or freezing it or ...)?

i one-time made the mistake of storing some winter-wheat in a bag in my closet that had some bugs in it that went on a rampage. it took me about six weeks of vac'ing twice a day to get all of them cleaned up again. i also had to remove every box from the floor in three closets and in the neighboring closet in the living room where we store our baking supplies because they'd made it that far and discovered the bonanza in there too. very-very tiny beetles. i'd never seen them before.

next time it will be double or triple bagged and in a sealed container.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep....those bugs hatch and go wild! Recently had some in the last 10# or so of a bag of rolled oats. Had gone to worm stage but, dumped out at chicken call up and there was a frenzy to enjoy it all! 😁 almost wish now that I had saved some as they were mealworms & could easily have started a little colony. Chickens go crazy for them and high protein feed. Expensive to buy dehydrated at store....almost a $1 an ounce. Not even a sample portion for a hen!

ETA: this was livestock feed!

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My friend told me she kept trying to order only a few bags from Azure Standard, but they were always out. She noticed that the pallet size was there though, and feeling scared about the coming times decided to just go ahead and order the pallet. Luckily, I JUST bought a bunch of mylar bags and oxy absorbers in bulk, so we have plenty of those (for a lot less than it would have been to buy a few at a time). She's running all over town buying buckets- we calculate we'll need about 67 of them. She also has DE to throw in, although I have NO idea how much is needed. I always figured that since the bugs need oxygen and we just sucked it all out of the bag I didn't have to worry, lol. I've been able to set up a couple of people that want to buy some from her, so hopefully she won't end up with all her available space being taken up with buckets of wheat.

Ground Cherries:
Ground Cherries, aka Husk Cherries, aka Cape Gooseberries. They are a relative of tomatillo, and are little yellow marble sized fruits in a papery husk that looks like a chinese lantern. Taste is like a cross of a really sweet tomato, and pineapple. They surprised us with how tasty they are, and the upside down cake turned out really good.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My last bag of dog food got infected with mealy bugs. I intend to feed it out to the chickens with some whole corn to balance out the protein content. Then, buy smaller and freeze it for now. Need to freeze or can all of my beans, freeze all of my flours, and go on a cleaning spree in my pantry. Hate bug infestations.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just added to my post -- these oats were in the barn...livestock feed.

But, hey, bugs are there and ya never know how these grains were handled before we bought them.

I have some chickens who love to get into cat food! Can't yell "kitty, kitty" as the chickens come running.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At one point in my life we were very, very short on cash. I discovered bugs in our oatmeal, but we didn't have the money to replace it, so I used it anyway. I just poured the rolled oats into a pan with water and the bugs all floated to the top, where I could skim them off. Then I continued to cook as usual. That was 40 years ago, and I ain't dead yet! I do prefer my food to not be bug infested though, lol.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have used pasta that had weevils in it once - I had nothing else available to eat in the house and I didn't get paid for 3 days. I poured the pasta shells into a colander and picked the good pasta noodles out and put them in a plastic container. I rinsed the noodles before putting into boiling water to cook. Noodles and butter for breakfast for 3 days. College kids, what ya gonna do.

Latest posts