broody hen question *update* pg 2

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I think Kel was right, Bertha, my EE hen has been sitting in her favorite nesting box since yesterday afternoon. She is always the first one on the roost and she spent last night sitting on 1 egg in the nesting box and is refusing to move. I checked on her this morning and she is still there. I have been saving some of her eggs this past week or so and I put 3 more under her last night just in case and she is still sitting on them. I don't know if I should separate her from the rest of the flock or leave her alone. She is in the nesting box of choice for most of my hens. I have 2 other nesting boxes available but I don't want there to be any problems. I just wonder if it would be better if I fixed her a separate nest. We have those crates that DH brought home from work and it wouldn't be a big deal to make a small coop (similar to Quail's) and put it in a corner of the run. Any input? Should I let her handle it or intervene to make her more comfortable?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
There were a couple recent threads on this. One was "The Great Broody Experiment" and then another last week. Can't remember the name... They could give you a lot of info.

I think, from my very limited experience, that there are 2 issues with leaving the hen in the nesting box:

1. When she gets up for food and water, other hens lay eggs and spread out the hatch.

2. When she comes back, she may not go back to her own box. This was our experience, so we moved our hen in the dead of night to another box with a 12-egg clutch all chosen from the same day.

Good luck!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would make her a place just for her.....I've not had much success with leaving them in the coop and always wound up moving the broody after several frustrating mishaps.

They don't take up much space and they kind of keep to themselves on the nest, so they are easy to make some small space for.

Good luck on your hatch! :)

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i made mine her own pen in the corner of the coop and its working great. The other hens were giving her a hard time for sitting in the favorite nest box and laying when she got up. I moved her into a cardboard box nest in her new pen and she was just fine. Had room to get up and eat and drink and poop and now she has 4 babies in with her protected from the other chickens but they can see and hear them to get used to them being there.

very helpful
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else....move her to her own space. The other will lay in there with her...and stagger the hatch. Once they start hatching, she just might abandon the rest, leaving them to die. :( I just moved my broody BO to her own spave today...with 14 eggs. Gotta LOVE a good old broody hen! :p

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
14 eggs!!!!! :th I wish my broodies could handle that many....and actually hatch them!

bluey

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Mine tried to sit on 15 eggs and got bored after hatching six. She buried the rest and I eventually took them away from her.

Hey, Bee! :frow

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would also move her. I have the same hen hatch out to different sets of chicks and I moved her both times. She seemed happy and the other chickens didn't bug her. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BLUEY!!!!!! Hey! Welcome to the SS! :D Things are sure gonna' get interestin' real quick now......... :lol:

Where's Calvin and Hobbes?

bluey

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Calvin and Hobbes are being sequestered on BYC for trouble making. :bun

I figured I'd have a different avatar here. I joined here so long ago, but now the wife and I are making real inroads to the self-sufficient life this spring, so I should be around more.

By the way, on topic...I always move my broody about 10-12 days in to a safe location where she can have peace and quiet from the other chickens. I have a brooder in the garage that I assemble for my broody.

I'll try to behave myself, but make no promises... :welcome

I just welcomed myself to S.S.!!! :woot