broody hen question *update* pg 2

bluey

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey, bee...how'd you get the sam's girl title? Can you pick any title here?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Actually, Bluey, that title was pinned on there awhile back, nearly in our inception stages when some of us gals were talking about Sam Elliott for some reason.....if ya get a chance to read the first few pages of my journal, you will find a small reference to THE MAN....er......fella...and we joked about it for awhile. 2Dream and I finally decided to share him! :p

Here's a good one for you, Bluey! Somewhere on here is a huge list of questions for newbies to answer(look in the feedback section, I believe) and yours ought to be quite entertaining! :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Bertha died today...we had just finished constructing her her own small coop. I went to check on her this morning and she had her beak tucked under her feathers. She hadn't eaten anything or drank much in the last 3 days even though it was right in front of her. She raised up and looked at me and seemed to be a bit lethargic but I thought it was cause I had just waked her up. She put her head back down and closed her eyes. I went back this evening to check on her again and she was gone. :( I don't know what happened. Cleaned out the nesting box and threw away all the eggs to be on the safe side. Sad day at the Adams household, she was a sweet bird.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
After poking around BYC and asking some questions it seems to be the group consensus that maybe she was egg bound and I just didn't know what to look for. I know now and hopefully if something like this happens again I will be able to intervene sooner and keep this from happening to another one of my birds.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just wanted to say I am sorry to hear about the loss of your chicken. While I know they are chickens, it is always bums me out when I lose one. :(

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
inchworm said:
Sam Elliott???:idunno
No way! :th You just have to know the man that every man should look and sound like! :p

Lori, so sorry about your broody! I hate it when a good hen dies from something like this. I lost a good one the other day from a pulmonary embolus and it made me heartsick.

A sad day for you and for anyone dealing with farm animals....sometimes it just happens. :(

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Given what you have learned, what would you keep an eye out for? And how would you intervene?

I have my first broody. She seems to go out once a day for about 20 minutes. I leave food and water near her the rest of the day. I really don;t know how much she is eating and drinking.

Sorry for your loss :hit

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about Bertha. We lost our favorite, very sweet, broody duck. She had been sitting for exactly two weeks. She was eating and drinking daily, but she was very thin when we found her. I was really looking forward to seeing her be a momma . . . so I am really grief-striken. :(

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I think that I had a hen that I suspected was broody again I would keep a closer eye on her and check her vent just in case. Worse case scenario the hen gets pissed off! I didn't see her leave the nest at all. I put food and water in front of her and she wouldn't take either. When I went back and thought about it her comb started to look a little withered too. I just didn't have any experience with it before. Never had a broody hen or dealt with egg binding. She didn't seem to mind when i disturbed her on the nest the first or second day and that should have been a sign that she wasn't broody and that something else was wrong. I just didn't know what to look for.

Latest posts