Broody turkey hen with chicken eggs! Sheesh! ***new ???? p 9***

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I am posting this "journal" on my broody turkey hen because I can't bring myself to waste a good broody, even though it is February in New England and it is not the best idea to have any bird raising a brood right now! Double-sheesh!

My turkey hen went broody after laying a grand total of 5 eggs, almost a week apart. We ate those eggs, expecting the floodgates to open as spring approaches. Last year, she laid about 40 eggs, but didn't go broody consistantly enough to hatch any. She is older and wiser this year, except.....too early!

So she went broody on a hen's egg that Little Blue laid in turkey's favorite corner. I kept taking the eggs (a barred rock joined Little Blue in laying eggs for the turkey) hoping she'd un-broody and go back to laying her own eggs. No success. She is determined.

I can't "break her up" by dunking her in cold water to cool her jets because it is still winter and it would kill her. I do this with hens in the summer and it works after a few dunks, more or less.

So I gave her a week to be sure she was going to remain broody this time. A few days ago I moved her and put a nice big nest box in her spot, loaded it with fresh straw, and put her in it after dark. In the morning I found her next to it, brooding nothing but her imaginary eggs. I moved her into the box again that night, and she has stayed there ever since.

I went in every night after dark and stole the eggs the hens laid in there. Made no difference. She has a very vivid imagination, apparently. In her mind, she is sitting on a mountain of turkey eggs.

Yesterday, I stuffed 12 chicken eggs under her and got a nice bite from her as a thank-you. Vicious little thing! I had to distract her with one hand while stuffing eggs with the other, and she still nailed me a few times. She even got my hand that was underneath her body a few times! While under her, I found two more eggs that someone had snuck into her nest, and checked to see what species they were.....Little Blue and the barred rock again, it looked like. They must be going into the nest with her, as she doesn't get up much at all.

On my way out of the barn, I found another fresh barred rock egg in the goat's stall, so I went back and stuffed that one under her, too. So she is on a total of 15 eggs.

I marked the original 12 eggs I saved to put under her, but not the additonal three. I was hoping to go in every night and remove any freshly-laid chicken eggs....but I think she will ultimately draw blood if I continue to harrass her nest. I will just deal with the loss of two hen's eggs while they continue to get into the box with her....Sigh.....two hens times 21 days....a lot of eggs! Two to three dozen will be lost....she'd better raise me a dozen nice chickens to add to my flock!

And hopefully, she will be ready to start laying eggs again when the two months of raising chickens is over. That will bring us to more appropriate weather for brooding the more valuable turkeys I am hoping to get this year.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! That is so funny!

I hope she hatches them out without problems....but I have to ask, will she not notice or care that she is raising chickens? I mean, I guess if she thinks she is momma, then it doesn't matter. Too Funny.

Pics of course will be great :gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I wish I could get someone over here to go broody. :rolleyes:

I was wondering the same thing as Dace, I wonder if she will give a hoot if she has short chicks. I am pretty sure she wont mind. I would love to see photos too.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just asked dh where the camera is hiding so I can illustrate this story....I suspect she won't know the difference and will raise up anything that hatches.

My plan for this spring was to put turkey eggs under any hen that volunteered to go broody, but now with the turkey gone broody, there will be no turkey eggs.

I can't just leave her to her own devices, because last summer I had a Buff Orpington go broody after we got rid of evil George, so I had no eggs for her to raise. I could not get her cool enough to interrupt her broodiness! I dunked her daily and held her in the water, trying to lower her body temp. It was hot outside, and maybe that contributed to her persistance. She returned to her nest for six weeks. I finally went to extreme measures and closed the coop door in the daytime (creating the habit with the other hens of laying eggs in the goat's stall :he ) so she couldn't return to the nest. It took several days of this, but she finally gave up. She was looking so ragged by then, I am sure she would have died on that empty nest if I didn't succeed in breaking her up.

She (the Buff) will definitely go on turkey eggs this year! There is no doubt in my mind that she will stay on them patiently for the extra week that turkey eggs need to incubate, and that she will feed those gigantic chicks to the best of her ability! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
will she not notice or care that she is raising chickens?
I have seens ducks raise chickens, chickens raise ducks, now we have a turkey raising chickens. They don't seem to care, but duck moms will lead your chickens in to the nearest body of water so you have to watch out for that. And chicken moms raising ducks tend to freak out when the babies decide to go for a swim :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I've heard the story from my mom over and over about when she was a girl on the farm and had a hen that hatched ducklings. Mama Hen was perfectly happy with her duckling "chicks" until they went for a swim. Grandpa said that hen was never the same after that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Heritage breeds will go broody, not the broad-breasted white or bronze modern frankenturkeys.

I have a pair of Bourbon Reds.

Latest posts