Broody turkey hen with chicken eggs! Sheesh! ***new ???? p 9***

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, she abandoned that lone egg and started another nest nearby. I was watching the one egg and didn't see the others until a few days ago, when she was up to six eggs. Yesterday she was up to seven, and this morning she did not come for breakfast....she was on the eggs.

I went to check on her later and found that her spot was going to be in the hot sun for the majority of the day, and at the times when the sun was at its hottest. She was already in distress when I discovered this, panting open-beaked. So dh and I set up her wooden nest box in the broody pen, in the shade of a maple and a walnut, and under the small hoophouse, covered with a tarp. No sun will hit her nest now.

We went out to the pasture to get her....dh with a small pail lined with hay for her eggs, and me with a large bath towel to wrap her in should she struggle too much for me to carry her all the way across the pasture, through the paddock gates, across the yard, through the gate into the broody pen, and into the hoophouse.

I reached for her and she bolted, but I caught her wings and she only broke one egg in the struggle. I had to grab her legs and get her upside down so she would go limp. I did not want to carry her this way, but it was working, so I supported her weight with my other arm so as not to injure her legs.

We got her in, and she struggled again as I was putting her in the hoophouse. When I left her, she was just lying on the ground in front of the nestbox, wings slightly spread, panting. I decided to walk away and let her settle for an hour or two. She may have a sore hock from the struggle, but I am sure she is uninjured. DH was concerned, but I felt the pressure I put on her, and it was not much at all. I let my hand go with her movement as much as possible so as not to injure her, but without letting her get away until she was where I wanted her, safe and sound.

Then I got to thinking.....how viable will those eggs be, since they were sitting in the sun every day, some for over a week? Is it worth letting her remain on them? I am thinking that if she stays broody, I will stuff the nest with chicken eggs again, and the tom can't smoosh anyone because he cannot get into this pen. If I leave her eggs with her, I will add the chicken eggs in a week to make up for the hatching date difference.

Waddaya think?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, I stuffed 20 chicken eggs under her at midnight, June 30. I had to get a small board and hold it between her face and my hand with the eggs, as she almost nailed one of the eggs with her hissing strikes. Sure, she nailed my hand a few times, but it wasn't as bad as the last time I disturbed her while she was setting chicken eggs and she left beak-shaped welts on my hand. She is really a weanie, but sure talks smack with the best of 'em.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan to me. Just think, it would take 2 broody chickens to cover that many eggs so it's like a 2 for 1 special :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All I can think is what the heck were you doing up at midnight???? ;) Sounds like you have a good momma there. I can't wait to see what hatches. Did you leave the turkey eggs in as well or just the chicken?

gina

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I left the turkey eggs under her. She had all the chicken eggs tucked underneath herself this morning, all snug and warm. Now I have three weeks to get the other hen and her nine chicks integrated into the main flock so the turkey will have the pen to herself. I am also getting a buckling soon for fall breeding, and planned on using the pen for him....sheesh! Why can't these hens all go broody at the same time and make my life easier?

It is midterm season for me right now, and I had a gazillion exams to correct and grades to organize and students to email. And it was a gorgeous day and my gardens all desparately needed weeding and watering as we will be away this weekend.....hence, up until midnight! I wanted to get all my grades recorded before going out there. I didn't get to sleep until probably 1:30. I have one more exam (practical) tonight, class ends at 10 PM and I won't get home until at least 11 PM..... I'm tired just thinking about it!