Broodys all over the place!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yep, I know not all breeds go broody, but I've had 3 of this breed that have. And, I lost 2 of them to predators, and one died, so I don't have a broody right now. My younger girls are just a year old, so I don't know if any of them will go broody or not.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
I only have one araucana brooding right now and I gave her 5 goose eggs to work with. Sometimes I make them do 2 rounds of incubating before I let them hatch what they on. Not sure what I will give her to finish.
If she manages to Hatch geese she deserves a rest! Geese are tough because of their egg size and the length of brood. thinking of that chicken trying to move the eggs around in the nest [you do know that they need to be moved often?] Length of brood is between 28-35 days depending on the breed. Chickens usually fail to hatch geese but I know a few who start up to 2 goose eggs under chickens and move them to incubators after 3 weeks.
You do know that goose eggs require more humidity than chickens because geese will take at least a quick dip in water daily and return to the nest with wet,even frozen feathers. People that brood geese in an incubator usually either sprinkle the eggs with cool water or leave the incubator open and dip the eggs in warm water to simulate the lifestyle of a goose. [Cool down and moisture from bath]
There are not a lot of Showmen in the South that show geese but those that do like to have lots of goslings to choose from. That means removing the eggs often so the goose does not go broody and produces the max number of eggs. These are kept cool [so they don't start to develope] When there are about 8 eggs they will introduce Muscovy ducks to the nest. Usually one duck [female] will jump at the chance to brood the eggs and fight the other ducks for the right. Muscovy have about a 35 day brood cycle and will bathe daily if supplied with warm water. It is often claimed that Muscovy are superior to geese or electrical incubation when it comes to % hatched, few will risk the eggs to the care of chickens for the entire brood cycle.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Yep, I know not all breeds go broody, but I've had 3 of this breed that have. And, I lost 2 of them to predators, and one died, so I don't have a broody right now. My younger girls are just a year old, so I don't know if any of them will go broody or not.
If they were hatched by chickens they are more likely to go broody,egg farms use incubated eggs to produce their production "layers" for just that reason. A broody chicken does not produce.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep....Thanx. I have been at this poultry thing a while now. Thing is with my unusual hatches, such as these, I've had the adult birds from ducks and chickens attack the babies. Its like they didn't accept the hen/duckling combo, so I had to bust up the union. I've had hens set on duck eggs, until lockdown and then give her chicken eggs, so she can finish her brood, with her own kind. That looks more accepted in the yard. Last year I had a broody hatch out a few goslings and then I put them in a tractor for safe keeping; just based on past experiences. Thats my own testamony and not anything I learned in a book. I can allow her to keep her babies, but I'll be removing the rooster from their stall if I do. I already took the other hen away from her because I didn't want to pick her up everyday. She is a big girl, and the eggs aren't enormous, so I'm sure she is fine.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
Yep....Thanx. I have been at this poultry thing a while now. Thing is with my unusual hatches, such as these, I've had the adult birds from ducks and chickens attack the babies. Its like they didn't accept the hen/duckling combo, so I had to bust up the union. I've had hens set on duck eggs, until lockdown and then give her chicken eggs, so she can finish her brood, with her own kind. That looks more accepted in the yard. Last year I had a broody hatch out a few goslings and then I put them in a tractor for safe keeping; just based on past experiences. Thats my own testamony and not anything I learned in a book. I can allow her to keep her babies, but I'll be removing the rooster from their stall if I do. I already took the other hen away from her because I didn't want to pick her up everyday. She is a big girl, and the eggs aren't enormous, so I'm sure she is fine.
Sorry I did not want to imply that YOU were new to poultry raising, but all levels of people read here and I felt it was best that I wrote all the details. Frankly I always felt it was best if hatched and raised by their own kind [with the exception of some ducks] I had one duck with a very rare gene the first two times she went broody she quit and walked away after only 2 weeks The third time she hatched and i found her eating the two ducklings that had her markings. even though I wanted to kill her I tradeed her to another breeder for the "pick if the litter" of future hatchlings She never produced so in effect I gave her away

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
~gd said:
Denim Deb said:
If they were hatched by chickens they are more likely to go broody,egg farms use incubated eggs to produce their production "layers" for just that reason. A broody chicken does not produce.
I know that, and I have one that was raised by a hen-she's never gone broody. But, even w/those that have been hatched out from an incubator, you can still get a broody.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It looks like once I get a broody going good, that it catches and 7 or 8 of my hens go broody, so I might as well think about what I eggs I want to save. Might as well face it....its gonna be water fowl. I can't hatch out enough ducks and geese to satisfy the local market, but I can't sell chicks this year or last year, to save my life. And not to worry....not offended. There are things to consider when you use other species as moms....more than the books tell you. You know how people have prejudices??? Well, animals do too.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
our 2 silkie hens want to brood almost all of the time
we even had 1 that hatched out a cluck when it was -10f for a week
they all hatched :)
buff orpingtons can also be good if you are after another broody breed.
the difference is the orpingtons can cover more eggs per cluch.

good luck
piglett

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, today the gosllings hatched. I took the roo away and must think where to keep him for safety. He is valueable and I don't want to run the risk of losing him to the local wildlife or another roo. She was on 5 goose eggs and only 2 of them hatched, but considering that I put in about 30 goose eggs in the incubator and only got out 3 goslings, I think she did awesome. I just put them a waterer and feeder with mash, until they old enough for grain. The kids think its so cute to see a 'Momma' with the goslings. I did lose my Toulouse gosling, which I hatched out myself, so I have 4 goslings. 3 are a yellow color and one is mostly yellow with a greenish tinge. Not sure the difference between Chinese and Embdens when they first hatched. I know for sure I have Christmas goose working in the yard, right now.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOW... congrats on the hatch that hen deserves extra treats and loven'!